Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vr Remotes

D

drewzle

Hi,

I have a 1993 VR Berlina, I have had an aftermarket Immobiliser put in the car about 2 years ago. With the two sets of keys that I have, one works fine at the other doesn't.

What happens with the remote is, using the aftermarket remote, it unlocks the door and turns off the immobiliser, you put the key in and turn it and the car does not start, switch it back to off again and then onto start (in some cases you have to do this three or four times) there have been other cases where you need to keep pressing the button to unlock and lock the door and switch the ignition to start and the car kicks over.

If you do this with the Buttons on the Holden key facing towards the windscreen (in the off position) it has this problem, switch it over so that logo is facing the windscreen it starts up straight away.

I took the car to the guy at Alberts where the Aftermarket Immobiliser was installed and he believes that the Remote that comes with the car is causing a problem with the Aftermarket Remote and Immoblisier.

This only happens with one set of the keys, the other is fine, has anyone else seen this issue before ?

stheggie

Reaction score
I have a 95 VS, and i also have the same problem with only one of my keys.
I have been told that its just a fault with the remote, You can buy replacement remotes from Holden but im not to sure how much.

I guess over time the contacts wear, or maybe the battery dies... im not too sure.
You have to remember most of them are near to or over the 10 year mark.

D

drewzle

Yer, I had the remotes replaced about 2 years ago and the batteries died 6 months later... they cost about $80 bucks each... Thats why i put in an aftermarket one to stop this problem

stheggie

Reaction score
Geez 2 Years ago! Thats a bit rough...

This may sound stupid but i found that my keys worked better ie- more range. When my alternator was replaced. I dont know if the keys charge off the car or what. Maybe it was just coincidence!

D

death-from-above

Yeah the keys are charged off the car, if you have a look at the key you will see a small raise of metal, this comes into contact with the ignition during driving and thus charges the battery whilst your key is in the ignition.

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
old man has the same problem with his vs!
spoke to an auto electrician, n he said that you are probably inserting the key too fast, and the key reader isnt detecting it properly, hence not starting the car
he said the solution is to either get a new key or to insert and turn the key slowly so that the reader has plently of time to recognise it
hope this helps!

stheggie

Reaction score
Thanks for the tip Chridda, I will give that a go next time i drive my car.
It doesnt bother me too much as the Key that plays up is my spare :)

D

drewzle

We worked out the problem...

It appears that the metal bit on the key was not making contact with the Barrel... so if we push hard enough the car starts over the first time.

So heads up if anyone has a similar problem...

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I found that the metal knobby bit pushes into a contact that is soldered to the printed circuit board and one of my remotes had a dodgy solder here.
The previous owner of the car must have really had trouble because the battery was installed upside down as well.

PIMPIN

The Lurker
Reaction score
Members Ride
VTII Calais 3.8 WHII Statesman LS1
QUOTE (markovr @ Mar 26 2004, 01:02 PM) The previous owner of the car must have really had trouble because the battery was installed upside down as well.