Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Brake Pad Change - Front & Rear

I

Iceberg

Hi All, I have just become a member under advice of a friend. I have looked/searched and asked a lot of questions about changing the pads on my VS S2, but I am still reluctant to do myself as brakes are not something to be tampered with unless 100% confident. I have the pads, have a workshop, just need instructions & advice on tools required and degree of difficulty.

P.S. this website is fantastic.
Cheers
Iceberg.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
pick up yourself a gregorys manual they're indespensable

afaik(1) its a case of popping off the fron wheels [ on stands ] unbolting the caliper from the suspension and it should lift off, from there you need to force it back [to accommodate the new thick pads] and they should some how or the rather, drop out with some persuasion once thats done and the new pads are in it'll pay to re-bleed them to be sure they work firmly.

good luck with your endeavours :)

(1) afaik = As far as i know

pj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
no need to bleed them at all.

WILD VR CLUBBY

lack of licence
Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 vy s
its easy all you do is undo the bottom bolts of the calipars there about 17 mm
then lift the caliper up slip out the old ones grab a gclamp and screew the piston back in then put the old on simple
dont have to bleed them either
im 17 done mine 2weeks ago

ss16

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS S3 SS A4
you will need a G-clamp or similar to push the pistons back in.

After lifting the caliper (as per previous instruction) remove one pad and use the remaining one as a spacer for pusing the piston back in. It should be flush with the surface. This is also a good time to check for perished rubber boots.

once the pistons are pushed back just reverse the removal process to install new pads.

Note:
when pushing the pistons back the fluid in the brake reseviour will rise ! Keep an eye on it, drain if necessary.

Re fluid change.
If your car didnt have one in the last two years its probably a very good idea to flush the whole system. If you are uncertain, get a pro to do it, use DOT4+ (unless DOT5 fluid has been installed already in your car, its not compatible with DOT3,4,4+). Watch him do it, and next time do it yourself.

Lastly.
Follow the instructions how to bed the pads in. there are few different schools of thought here.

1. Gently does it for the 200kms.
or
2. (from Wilwood brake pads website )
Once the brake system has been tested and determined safe to operate the vehicle, follow these steps for bedding of all pad materials and rotors.

1. Begin with a series of 8-10 light stops from approximately 30 MPH down to 15 MPH allowing 20-30 seconds for cooling between each stop.

2. Progress to series of 8-10 moderate stops from around 45 MPH down to 30 MPH allowing the 20-30 second cool down period between each stop.

3. Proceed with a series of 8-10 hard stops from 55-65 MPH down to 25 MPH allowing 20-30 seconds of cool down time between each stop.

4. Drive at a moderate cruising speed, with the least amount of brake contact possible, until most of the heat has dissipated from the brakes. Avoid sitting stopped with the brake pedal depressed to hold the car in place during this time. Park the vehicle and allow the brakes to cool to ambient air temperature.

or
3 from Pagid USA website

Personally I used the Wilwood brake in process in 3 of my road cars with no adverse effects, although I must admid I stopped each sequence of stops after the pedal felt spongy and brakes smelled like they were ready to burn (usually 6~7 stops).
Good luck.