Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Calais with t5 conversion wont start

C4L4IS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR '93 Calais
hey guys, just converted the calais to manual, put the manual ecu and harness and everything in but it wont fire, the starter motor solenoid doesnt even click and i know it works...
all the plugs are in and everything but it just does nothing when i turn the key
the computer lights up fine the key turns fine stereo even works but theres just nothing from the starter.
any help or ideas? would be much appreciated

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
Is it the Manual starter motor or still the auto one?

C4L4IS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR '93 Calais
tried both. they look exactly the same?
just went through the wiring and it seems to be around the relay box cause we can fire the starter by touching the starter plug with a wire from the positive battery terminal
but now the horn doesnt work either...

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
didn't forget to bypass the p/n safety switch wires from the old auto shifter?

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
didn't forget to bypass the p/n safety switch wires from the old auto shifter?

He is using the Manual wiring harness. Bypassing the safety switch is only required when using the auto wiring harness.

GTP 85

291 hp @ the wheels
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY04 WRX, VS SSenator & VS V6 track weapon
Auto and manual starters arent the same?

C4L4IS

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR '93 Calais
how are they not the same? the unit is exactly the same, and all they are is a motor with a solenoid which when sent power, drives the flywheel gear?
checked the diagnostics and it came up with code 33 Manifold Absolute Pressure Sensor (MAP) high voltage ?

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
He is using the Manual wiring harness. Bypassing the safety switch is only required when using the auto wiring harness.

it isn't part of the engine loom it's part the body wiring, where the reverse switch wires that you've had to extend there should be another 2 unused pins in that plug.
grey and a grey/blue wire, are these joined?

vr start charge.jpg

map fault won't stop it from turning over.

Last edited:

FstStig

Diagnostician
Reaction score
Members Ride
2010 VE SV6
it isn't part of the engine loom it's part the body wiring, where the reverse switch wires that you've had to extend there should be another 2 unused pins in that plug.
grey and a grey/blue wire, are these joined?

View attachment 135196

map fault won't stop it from turning over.

Here is the guide if you are wanting to keep the AUTO Wiring harness and Computer
Modifying Gearbox Loom. to keep auto computer. (VR only)
On the manual gearbox there are two connectors One For the reverse lights and the other for the speed sensor.

Connected to the auto shifter will be a white plug with four wires connected to it the grey and grey/black wires are for the neutral safety switch. they need to be shorted together to allow the car to start.
The other two wires on this connector are pink and green, they are the wires for the reverse lights test this yourself by touching them together and looking at the reverse lights.
To get the reverse lights working you will need some more wire to extend them to the gearbox. when you have enough length crimp a blade connector on each wire *Note they do not have to go onto the gearbox in a specific order (i had a spare loom sitting in the shed so i used the same colours to keep it factory looking.)
To get the speed sensor working you will Need 3 things.
Positive
Negative
Signal Wire to the dash.
The signal wire is the Purple/White Cable this has to be extended over to just above the ecu. where you will also find a purple/white wire on a plug leading from the computer up into the dash. this is the wire you need to cut and connect your extended wire.
For the Positive and Ground i used My spare Cigarette lighter Wiring but you could also use the wiring for the light around the auto shifter surround.
Then drill a hole through your gearshift plate and put a grommet in and run the wires through to the connectors.( it is recommended you do this while the car is still up in the air.)

No MAP fault wont stop it from turning over, it will only stop it from firing... Fix the fault that you know is there first.