Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Painting what to do??

M

Mick commo mad

hey i was just wondering if anyone knew how much it would cost to get a VS painted in a really dark showroom black ?? and whats the best paint to use when painting ur dash and everything else plastic in your car... any help would be appreciated, cheers....

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
Be expecting to pay around the 3-4k mark for a decent-good paintjob.

M

Mick commo mad

so would that be just for the outside or the engin bay etc aswell??

J

Jamie W

For a 'show room' black paint job proberly 7k for a good 'show room' job. Black is a prick, don't go half-ass on a black paint job.

M

Mick commo mad

really.. ok then thanks, what about just ur average 2005 SS black from holden, any ideas what that would cost$$..

BANGERS88

Reaction score
Members Ride
1990 Toyota Starlet GT, turbo.
With your dash the best way to do it is to firstly give all the bits you want to do a light sand (iam talking like the real fine sandpaper), then give it at least 2 coats of plastic primer(i found K&H to be the best), and give it a light rub back between each coat. Then you apply the final colour you want the same prob no less than 2 coats with a light rub except on the final coat. Then one coat of hard gloss finish this gives it depth, shine and protection. Then finally a quick cut and polish and its done. I put in a pic of my dash so you can see what they come up like.

deathsminion

Chrgd,Coold,Twinthrot'in
Reaction score
Members Ride
GT42R forced JZA80 Supra and VT Wagon
Mick commo mad said:
really.. ok then thanks, what about just ur average 2005 SS black from holden, any ideas what that would cost$$..

$1000 for the paint alone with some thinners. Then there's the clear coat, primers, etc. Then whack a few grand on top for the labour.

brentons_house

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
BANGERS88 said:
With your dash the best way to do it is to firstly give all the bits you want to do a light sand (iam talking like the real fine sandpaper), then give it at least 2 coats of plastic primer(i found K&H to be the best), and give it a light rub back between each coat. Then you apply the final colour you want the same prob no less than 2 coats with a light rub except on the final coat. Then one coat of hard gloss finish this gives it depth, shine and protection. Then finally a quick cut and polish and its done. I put in a pic of my dash so you can see what they come up like.

Looks liek you did a really good job

M

Mick commo mad

BANGERS88, that looks very nice indeed, love what youve done with it, thats what i wana do when i get mee commi... thanaks for tellin me how to do it aswell appreciate it, cheers... just wonderin, i see you have a manual commodore, just curiouse weather the gear box is a fairly slow shifting and clunky gear box or can u really give it to it and it wont make a sound. im just wonderin coz i am about bye me a manual VS hopefully next week, thanks again appreciate it..

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
nice touches Banger though personally i didnt think the aircon dials fitted in very well.