Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

please help error code 48.

redrose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive v6
Hi I was wondering if any one can tell me what it means when I get error code 48 (Crankshaft Reference Signal Missing). We replaced the crank angle sensor 6 mths ago or so. Does this mean that the magnet that the sensor connects with is missing or does it need new sensor. Thank you in advance.
p.s I also got error code 72 (Vehicle Speed Sensor
Intermittent While Driving) does this mean we have to replace the speed sensor on the transmission.
Sorry to be a pain dont know much about sensors and stuff , I grew up helping Dad fix Holdens, no sensors or cpu's back then.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Error code 48 is CAMSHAFT position sensor signal missing. Below are the instructions for replacing the sensor on a VS, not sure how different this is for a non-Ecotec VR:

REMOVE
1. Disconnect battery earth lead.
2. Lift up retaining tang and disconnect wiring harness connector from camshaft position sensor.
3. Remove camshaft position sensor to front cover retaining bolt.
4. Remove camshaft position sensor and O-ring from front cover.

REINSTALL
1. Apply light engine oil to O-ring on new camshaft position sensor.
2. Assemble camshaft position sensor into front cover hole.
3. Install camshaft position sensor to front cover retaining bolt and tighten to the correct torque specification - 11 Nm.
4. Reconnect wiring harness connector to camshaft position sensor.
5. Reconnect battery earth lead.

DTC 72 is used to detect an intermittent failure. If a hard VSS fault exists, it will set DTC 24. DTC 72 will set if the vehicle is operating at a road speed and something happens to the VSS signal.
Check all connections for proper retention. When Diagnostic Trouble Code 72 is set, the transmission will have maximum line pressure and command 3rd gear only. If DTC 72 is set while in 4th gear, the vehicle will stay in 4th gear. However, as the vehicle is coasting to stop the transmission will downshift normally from 4 to 3. Once the downshift into 3rd gear has occurred, the vehicle will stay in 3rd gear.

Check that wiring harness for VSS are not routed near high voltage sources such as spark plug cables which could induce a false signal onto the VSS signal. DTC 72 could possibly be set by rapidly accelerating the vehicle in a loose material (such as sand or gravel) where the wheels can be spinning faster than actual vehicle speed then having the spinning wheel rapidly decrease when it contacts a hard surface. This includes burnouts !!!

RX25SE

Real cars are steel cars.
Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 Liberty 30R Spec B 6sp wagon
Did you clear the code when you replaced the sensor?

redrose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive v6
Thank you for your replies. I did clear the code after we replaced the sensor. I have been driving on really bad country roads and was wondering if all the jolting could loosen the sensors?

Brett_jjj

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs commodore
As stated above^^^, code 48 is cam angle sensor, not crank angle sensor. Did you replace the cam angle sensor or the crank angle sensor?

redrose

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Executive v6
We replaced the crank angle sensor so we will now replace the cam angle sensor. Thank you.