Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

lighter problem

mistermeena

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0
hey all i just went out and bought a new lighter for my exec and replaced the old one but it wont work either.. does this mean its a prob with the wiring. figured i should ask before i book in to an auto elec

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Just make sure you have it connected properly. There should be two connectors to it. Its not that hard to check, but its hard to do if you dont know a bit of electronics. If you have a multimeter check that you have 12v between the two wires on the main connector. Wouldnt take it to an autoelectrician unless you know hes honest and will do it for cheap. Cause its really not a costly fix.

mistermeena

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0
i have a multi meter but wasnt sure which to check is the main connector the big one?

auc05l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Check to see if the fuse is blown, if it is (from my experiances) 9 times out of 10 its because the wires on the back of the lighter socket have become frayed and the power wire (the centre one) has earthed out on the body of the lighter socket. Never just put a bigger fuse in as some people do, thats when you run into fire problems. Hope this helps.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
You shouldn't need a lighter in your car anyway, smoking and driving is bad. Smoke also stinks out the car!

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
Infus10n said:
You shouldn't need a lighter in your car anyway, smoking and driving is bad. Smoke also stinks out the car!

might not be for a lighter might a phone charger or neons, but yes smoking in your car is a disgusting habit, nothing against smokers, but nothing worse than getting into a car thats been smoked in

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
Charg'd_VT_Xu6 said:
might not be for a lighter might a phone charger or neons, but yes smoking in your car is a disgusting habit, nothing against smokers, but nothing worse than getting into a car thats been smoked in

Yes didnt think of that but my comment still stands :p

Sorry i couldn't be more helpful!

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
or a car fridge :)

use to have it in the 4by but 4 ease i just plug the engal 42l in the cig lighter :) and have a carton with me all the time : )

but i dont drink n drive :) camping mostly.

just check the fuse as others have said, then chuck ur multi - mtere on if fuse is good, black wire is the earth(i think the sideways part of the plug) u an tell when lookin. if still nothin just take it to the auto elec and he fix it easy(hopefully)

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
gear%20selector%20003.jpg

This is a photo from one of the how to forums. The larger one should have 12v between the two wires. Check as auc05l said that the fuse isnt blown, that could be the problem too.

mistermeena

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR 5.0
thanks heaps guys ill check it out oh and for the record i do smoke in my car now and then but i never needed the cig lighter for that its that i just got a gtech and discovered my lighter dont work