Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Percentage of window tint

S

Spin_City

i am looking at getting my windows tinted on my VR wagon

they guy at the shop says that he can do either 35%(legal),18% or 5%

would the 35% look kinda crap and not really be worth doing??

is it likely that i will get in trouble by cops and **** for having an illegal tint job??

does anyone have any pics or there tinted wagons??

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
Mines not a wagon but i have 35% tint on my sedan, looks good i think & legal. I could have got 20% tint but the guy who put my tint on said if you get into a crash it can void your insurance if your at fault.

Attachments

• vs 002.jpg
    vs 002.jpg
    318.2 KB · Views: 2,437

camvyss

Doof, Doof, Doof
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS 5.7L A4
According to my latest information, there is no longer any legal limit on what tint your vehicle can have. Accordingly my brother now has limo tint on his VX Calais and I am looking at doing the same for my SS.

For the record this is in QLD, and as many know if it's legal here, it's definately legal everywhere else.

dam026

Reaction score
Members Ride
01 VU S PAK SERIES 2
I just got mine done last wednesday on my vs sedan 5% all around. looks really neat. cost me $199 + extra $50 to remove old tint and extra $50 because how dark it was.. so all up $300. it makes a big differents to the cars appearance.

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
camvyss said:
According to my latest information, there is no longer any legal limit on what tint your vehicle can have. Accordingly my brother now has limo tint on his VX Calais and I am looking at doing the same for my SS.

For the record this is in QLD, and as many know if it's legal here, it's definately legal everywhere else.
Do you have any proof? or is it a mates dads uncle that told you its now legal. Also, if a 'cop' told you, i wouldn't belive it either, as minimal cops are up to date with ADRs.

If it is infact in, great, but until i see it in the ADRs, i'll have very small hope of it being true!

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I have never heard of anyone getting a fine or police making a big deal out of it. I have heard though that insurance can wipe you if you have darker than legal.

crashy13

=(BUSTOUT)=
Reaction score
Members Ride
VX SS II 9C1 & VH SL/E
tint officer

my old car had illegal tint from the previous owner and at a RBT they asked if the car came wit hthat tint and i replied "as far as i know" and they never said another word about it? if you claim that it came that way when u bought it it may work? u cant really be blamed for a previous owners tint job hey?

S

Spin_City

Yeh i dont know if it will affect my insurance i only have 3rd party property damage anyway

so pretty much i wont get to harrased by cops but it could cause major probs wiht insurance

=Calais v8=

Holden Tech Apprentice
Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII 5.0L Calais, 13b ae71
crashy13 said:
my old car had illegal tint from the previous owner and at a RBT they asked if the car came wit hthat tint and i replied "as far as i know" and they never said another word about it? if you claim that it came that way when u bought it it may work? u cant really be blamed for a previous owners tint job hey?

yeah but you can be blamed for buying an unroadworthy car

camvyss

Doof, Doof, Doof
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY2 SS 5.7L A4
I was given some documents the other day, not sure where I put them. If I can find them I'll double check on the source. As a side note I was pulled over the other day in the Calais, bearing in mind that for the officer to see me I had to wind down the window, to which he didn't say anything so I'm stumped. Either police have the same information I do or they are becomming more and more complacent.

Anyway I will locate the papers when I go back to work and will follow it up.

Decidied to fast track it and have instead emailed a contact with DOTARS. Will wait to hear back from him.

Last edited: