Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Ecotec cam fitted... need a tune??

smaddock

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V6 Executive S2
G'day,

About 5 months ago I fitted a cam to my ecotec VS (218*dur@50thou, 280thou lobe lift, 110LSA) as well as a chip by chiptorque (off the shelf, not custom tune). However I was plagued with valvetrain noise, so the decision was made last weekend to rip out the cam and replace it with another (everything else 'valvetrain' related had been replaced to try to combat the noise, but it still persisted).

The cam I fitted this time was a 216/220*dur@50thou and 308thou lobe lift with 112LSA. Now its not too different to the first one, however with the new one the power drops off under heavy acceleration over 3500rpm, and there is an almighty induction noise, reminiscent of carby days!

I just need to know whether this noise and consequent power drop would be associated to the tune being out, or something else? I am planning a twin-throttle manifold in the near future, but don't want a custom tune till after that is fitted for obvious reasons. I was really hoping to keep the current tune until such time as the twin throttles are fitted, but want to get it out to the drags to see improvement with the current cam however can't do that with the way its running (it runs fine under part-throttle, just under near-full throttle that it is odd).

Thanks,
simo

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
It should be ok ? go and see your local workshop with a dyno and pay for a dyno run with your AFR's logged on the printout. This information will tell you if your car is leaning out and at what rpm.

Bakes

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SIII Ute
You may also find that if you decide to you the same tuner, after your first dyno tune, subsequent tunes will be less than your initial one.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
smaddock said:
G'day,

About 5 months ago I fitted a cam to my ecotec VS (218*dur@50thou, 280thou lobe lift, 110LSA) as well as a chip by chiptorque (off the shelf, not custom tune). However I was plagued with valvetrain noise, so the decision was made last weekend to rip out the cam and replace it with another (everything else 'valvetrain' related had been replaced to try to combat the noise, but it still persisted).

The cam I fitted this time was a 216/220*dur@50thou and 308thou lobe lift with 112LSA. Now its not too different to the first one, however with the new one the power drops off under heavy acceleration over 3500rpm, and there is an almighty induction noise, reminiscent of carby days!

I just need to know whether this noise and consequent power drop would be associated to the tune being out, or something else? I am planning a twin-throttle manifold in the near future, but don't want a custom tune till after that is fitted for obvious reasons. I was really hoping to keep the current tune until such time as the twin throttles are fitted, but want to get it out to the drags to see improvement with the current cam however can't do that with the way its running (it runs fine under part-throttle, just under near-full throttle that it is odd).

Thanks,
simo
you may have to change the squirters

Michelson4301

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Super6 Utility 5 speed
An easy way to check if your injectors are maxed out is with a multimeter with a duty cycle function.