Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Cold air induction mod on Ebay for the V6

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Has anyone used one and if so what sort of difference was noticed ?

It's no secret that under the hood of any V6 it gets mighty hot and where I live in CQ it's normal to be 40 + deg C outside.

The temp under the bonnet would be interesting to measure exactly but it's a safe bet it would be 4-5 times or more what the ambient air temp is while moving.

Anyone know by chance ? :w00t:

crainy

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v6
hey mate i got a genuine holden one i notice a large increase in power from about 60 km/h. and around the same acceleration. my fuel econ has greatly increased.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I don't want to sound like a smart-ass, but the air intake for the VS is designed to take in cold (ambient) air from the front grille airscoop. This is air which does not pass thru the radiator and is not heated....so if the outside air temp is 40 deg and the underbonnet temp is 160 deg, the standard air intake air temperature must be 40 deg and not 160 deg. Have a close look at the standard setup and see what you think. The way I see it you already have a CAI.....or am I missing something.
Regards

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Nah mate you wont notice a difference. I put one in, theres not enough to notice but ofcourse its going to give you a little bit plus bit better fuel. The air flow isnt that great into it anyway, just not enough room for decent flow.

S

Sirius096

I bought the genuine SC VS CAI for $60 a few days ago. It actually is a noticable power gain, not large by any means, but you can notice it. Not sure about economy yet as my tanks still full. :p

ads72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim 3.8
let me know about economy

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Having some work done on the VS I asked if 7 lit / 100 kms was ok, the mechanics reply was that I would not get any better than that no matter what was done to the engine, perhaps another 1/2 a lit with extractors, bla bla, but that's it.

Seems stock is the way.

M

Masher

Mate..I posted this on another thread, but might be relevent: My suggestion (worked great on my VS SS)...buy a K&N panel filter . Remove and throw away ugly "cold air intake" from top of radiator and side of airbox. Remove airbox, remove windscreen washer bottle. Purchase around 50cm of 12cm "unpunched" drainflo plastic flex piping from hardware $5, and if poss a "joiner" like a plastic collar. Take deep breath and cut 12cm hole in wheel arch directly under airbox and match with hole cut into bottom of airbox. Patch hole in side of airbox where ugly thing used to connect. Install piping into hole if poss using joiner. Seal well. Route pipe inside wheel arch and secure where you want. Find a way to replace washer bottle (I cut mine diagonally, used aluminium sheeting and silicon, and cut down the filler pipe and installed it between the airbox and rear of headlight). Start engine, listen to amazing induction hiss, feel the response. Have fun.