Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

2nd inderpendant opinon's needed.

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
Well my vr 94 acclaim, v6 motor has shat itself.

basiclly the short story is a replcment motor is needed.
im waitng for the exact quotes from my merchanic, for 2nd hand motor, reco, and new prices. i dont have the skills to change the motor myself althow its possible to learn. im guissin these options will b up near + or - of 2k area

im also had the thought of a v8 conversion. ive gone threw a few previous posts and the gerneral idea is that its not really worth the time and effort as u can buy them fair cheap anyways. gussin the converison is up the near the 5k area.

my problem is i need my car asap, i live in rurual south NSW, and the car is needed alot. i have bout 5k cash avalible for funds. the way i see it the vr is only worth 5k at best. to spend aprox 2k on a motor and still keep the same car, seems kinda a waste of moeny. the vr does need a few other little fix's but nothin major otherise its in very good nic, 180,000ks immac interior.

i reallise probly easier to save up another 5k and buy a vs 5l. but i kinda need the car quicker than saving the $$ up and dont wana touch the bank loans etc... if i do that ill be gettin the $$$ for sumthin worth takin a looan out for.

basiclly with the funds avalible, wot rekon too do?
i dont really see the point in puttin a v6 badck in as ive done this 3 preivous times to previous vk, vn, vp, and now the vr..........kinda over the commy v6 now!

how possible rekon a trade in is on say a vt or sumthin roudn the 10k mark would b.

sorry ot ask so many questions its all happened in the last few days and just tryin to sort out wot way to go bout it.

thanks for ur time

hayden

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
I think you should be able to find a V8 VR for $5k, but chances would be better if you got what you could for your VR first and add that to the budget.

Garth, in his infinite wisdom, made me see that any money you put into a car that isnt the initial purchase, you'll never see again.

My opinion, buy V8, sell shot VR as is.

cracker

Reaction score
how about putting a factory blown v6?
u have the money?
the box bolts up the engine mounts are the same might be worth haveing a look in to

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
And don't forget your VR with a blown motor is worth under $1000...probably nearer to $500. Reason for this is a buyer will figure its been thrashed and auto and diff are probably buggered as well. The wreckers probably wouldn't want it as the motor has the biggest profit in it and usually pays for the rest of the vehicle. I'd be putting in a second hand V6 and wait till I was in a better bargaining position....but thats just my opinion. Good luck.

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
drop a super6 in there.

Stretchomatic

Reaction score
Website
www.facebook.com
Members Ride
86 VL Berlina M5
i dunno if it applies for u but i got my commy at auctions for 3 grand, and its a vs1 acclaim, depending on time and location have a look...

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
cheers all

yeah im more leaning towards a 2nd hand motor and hopeing for a few more months then sell it. ive lined up the gfs camry(Yuck) for a few weeks anyways so there is nor rush.

basically since i ve owned the car 4mnths now i drive like a old grandma, ive never flogged it. 98 on cruise control everywehre.

who knows bout the previous owners.

any idea on costs, is it better for me to try an sorce a motor or just let the merhcanic do it?

thanks again

hayden

cracker

Reaction score
have a stab ur self. theres no reason why u couldnt put the motor in ur self.
buy a good condistion vr engine from a wrecker one with a warrenty (usally about 3months)
for about $600
to remove ur motor u will need set of sockets,spanners screw drivers etc.
and a block and tackle to lift the motor out. i got mine for $80 2nd hand
connect the chain to the points on ur motor.
undo the engine moount 4 bolts and two for the trans. un do wiring for the trans and motor. un plug pretty much everything let the coolant go etc.
then pull the motor and box up and out very easy u would do it in half a day with a mate.
then once u have it push the car back and lower the box and motor on the floor.
un bolt the box 4 big bolts and 6 small ones
slide it off un bolt ur torque conveter 3 bolts.
slide the converter on ur trans bolt ur trans to ur new motor. hook it up to the block and takle and away u go.
u and a mate should with a basic set of tools and a work shop manual should be able to do it. have a go!

Macca177

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Statesman V8
sounds very easy when u put it that way :)

im ok with merchanics and the old fella is a engineer so yeah im sure we could pull it off.

i think i more leaning towards a recoed with 1 yr or so warrenty thow.

still undesided to go ahead myself or not.

thanks for ur help ppl.