Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Dissapearing Water/Coolant...

ule_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 3.8
Hey guys....
I have a 96 VS Calais with about 120000 on the clock...
A lil while ago my heater core decided to go and piss coolant all over my floor and hence the car overheated due to no water in the system...
I have since repaired by looping the hose around and making it a closed circuit...
But now...9 months later...the car goes through more water then it does petrol...
i have used stop leak etc...and cannot find any visible water leaks in the engine bay...(although it does like to piss oil everywhere)...
I fill the car up with water...then 2 days later it starts overheating again...and i have to refill....
I looked on the oil filler cap...and there was no milkyness...but when i remove the radiator cap the water is bubbling slightly and does go frothy...
I'm thinking head gasket?? does anyone have any ideas/advice??
thanks guys
Jay

AnthsVSLexcen

Reaction score
try changing the "water" to coolant. flush out the system and get ur heater core fixed.

ule_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 3.8
yeh mate ive flushed...and done all that stuff...
a few times now...
and it still keeps happening...
hmm
fix the heater core?? isnt that a meggaaa huuggeee job?

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
look it sounds ovios yeah i cant't spell try looking 4 a pin hole on the top radiator hose (tiny pissy pin hole)i speak from expiriance

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
Sounds like a headgasket issue.

Do a compression test and/or watch for steam in the exahust pipe once the car has warmed up.

Heater core is a big job and I'm wondering how poorly the cars been maintainted if at 120,000ks its blown the heater core & headgasket?!?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Some radiator places can do a chemical test on your coolant/water to detect any combustion gases - this will tell you for sure if its a head gasket gone.....though which head, left or right?....screw the plugs out and inspect the condition of each - if one/some look suspect with fluffy sooty deposits on them then its that head. Water pump probably will be failing around this mileage/age as well. Good luck.

hoss

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S1
I'm experiencing a similar problem at present. Lead in circumstances a little different though. Car is 96 VS S1 Acclaim with nearly 99000 on it. Was serviced about a month ago and had the thermostat, housing and top hose replaced. System was flushed also. In the 2wks after that, it was topped up with nearly 2 litres of coolant. So when I had a chance took it back and they looked at it again and was told that the screw on the hose clamp was stripped, which they replaced and would be fine. They were right and for 2wks perfect (checking every couple of days) then yesterday had to top up radiatior and overflow bottle between 1/2 & 1litre all up. Yesterday drove for about 50kms all up then this morning overflow bottle empty again. Do I have a problem or just being paranoid. Oil is clean, no signs of coolant in the engine bay anywhere, no puddles on the ground, no steam. Water pump replaced about 3yrs ago.

Cheers
Hoss

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Id replace the radiator cap as well, always a good thing to do if its getting a bit of rust or gunk in it.

ule_1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Calais 3.8
yeh im gonna replace thermostat and cap tomorrow and do a compression check to see how it all goes ......
i shall keep y'all posted...