Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Lighter Problems

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
Hey guys, ive done a search but couldnt find anything, anyway my lighter keeps on blowing its fuse, ive checked it all and it seems to be fine, and twice just before ive put the fuse back in ive pushed the connection wires for the lighter togeather to make sure its all in properly and then put the fuse in and it works at first, then i push the top bit down a second time and the fuse blows! ive got no idea why, could anyone help me out?
Thankz

h2obro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II
hey nick88 , have you checked to see if you lighter socket has a short to earth? This can be easily done using a multimeter. Check the 12v+ terminal on the socket ( with the wire removed ) for continuity to earth. Are you using the right amp fuse? 5 amp according to Mr Max Ellery. hope this helps, best of luck

Bro.

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
ey, ive got no idea if its shorting out to the earth or whateva, and i dont have a multimeter to check. the fuse im using is a 20amp, which is what it says in the fuse box pannel

h2obro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II
Hey , no worries bro. 20 amp is more than enough. If you have no multimeter, a crude way of testing it is to get a test light and hook one end to a reliable 12v + and hook the other end to your + terminal ( the middle one ) on your lighter socket. If it lights up then your socket has a short to earth. Replace the socket if this is the case. About $10 from a local wrecker .

auc05l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Have a look at the back of the lighter socket, you will see two wires going into it, the centre one is the power and obviously the outside one is the earth. What I have seen quite a lot of times is the power wire gets frayed and crosses the insulator and shorts out on the earth. Have a look for this or burn marks on the body of the socket.

nick88

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE2 SS Voodoo
ey, ive just had a look at the socket and the wires seem to be fine, none have frayed out and touching one another, but i noticed that the ligh will not light up unless the lighter socket is plugged into the 12v thingy and the light is touching it, is this right? shouldnt it lightup anyway? could it be something with the light that is causing it?

johnC

Reaction score
Members Ride
(Did have..) VSII Exec V6 A4
Somebody screwed up my ciggy lighter a while ago when using a mobile phone charger in it. When the charger was removed, the person turned it slightly to make it easier to pull out (instead of yanking it straight out). What then happened was a metal terminal at the bottom had spun around so that it was touching the other terminal (thus making a circuit and blowing the fuse). I just got a (plastic handled!) screwdriver and pushed the bit of metal back around so that it was clear of the opposite terminal, replaced the fuse and I was done!

Famine

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Have you only used the cig lighter itself in the cig lighter socket? My actual cigarette lighter is screwed, and shorts it every time, hence blowing the fuse. However when I use another attachment that uses the cig lighter socket it works fine (ie phone charger). So in my case the only problem was a stuffed cigarette lighter plug! Just make sure it isnt the problem :)