Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Oxygen Sensor

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
I am in need to replace the oxy sensor on my VR Exec. Can you get the part from Repco or something like that, and are they easy to replace? I have been told a 10 minute job?

If they are easy, can someone (possibly) post up pics of this, or just directions/instructions and I'll give it a shot.. I want this done by the DEC 18 Cruise

h2obro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II
hey bro, I replaced mine the other day. Was a piece of cake. Here is what i did.

1, Disconnect battery.

2, Jack up left side of car. (My 02 sensor was on the left side just behind the front wheel )

3, Block up car with stands.

4, Locate sensor, follow wire on sensor to a plug . Disconnect plug. Disconnect the grommet holder thingy that secures the wire to the chassis rail.

5, Using a 22mm spanner ( I think that was the size ) Undo the sensor from the exhaust. Can be tight. To undo you need to be pushing the spanner towards the front of the car.

6, Open box and remove new sensor, remove plastic cap over thread. It should have some anti-seize on it already. ( do not allow anti-seize to get onto sensor probe )

7, Fit sensor into pipe and tighten up.

8, Reconnect plug, replace thingy to hold wire to chassis.

9, Jack car up remove stands and lower car

10, Reconnect battery.

11, Pack tools away, clean up etc.

12, Have a nice cold beer and reflect on the excellent job you have just done.

Repco should have replacement sensors. You need to check if you have a square plug or a flat plug when you order it. Should cost under a hundred bucks. Might pay to shop around. I got mine for $85.

Hope this helps.

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
Ok, that will help! but can you describe the sensor (if possible provide pics) and tell me a round about figure on price?

h2obro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II
Hey , here are 2 pics for you.

first pic is a 2 wire flat plug $76.00 from repco

Second pic is a 4 wire square plug $156.00 from repco

You need to replace which ever one is the same as yours. But DO shop around as prices can vary.

Just open the phone book and start ringing. but first look under your car and find out what type you have. It should be located just in front of the cat convertor .

hope this helps.

bro.

Attachments

• 02 flat plug.JPG
    02 flat plug.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 3,326
  • 02 under car.JPG
    02 under car.JPG
    58.8 KB · Views: 1,345
B

Brian Sutherland

4 wire should be uner 98 each thats top dollar

Hi, did you mean 156 for two 4 wire sensors? ushould be able to get a 4-wire for under 80 according to the posts.
Just make sure you the right sensor for yor car. As the vin numbers rolled over on the real late VS II's and the number will show up a a early 2 wire sensor. The dealer should know that a 1997 has a 4 wire BUT they might give you a 2 wire if they arent thinking.

h2obro

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT Series II
That was the quote i got off the guy from repco as i was typing that reply . Price was per item. I have a late 95 Vr series II and that has the 4 wire type. I only paid $85 for mine because I shopped around...

Trennaa

Reaction score
Members Ride
Qwerty
im gettin mine for $50 at repco ;)

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
what would happen if your sensor was disconected? would it still run? my mate said he disconected his pollution gear for more power is this part of the pollution gear?

ozengines

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX II SS Ex Chaser V8
Hi all
Tonight I had the old fault code 13 come up on my VR '93, O2 Sensor, is this the only thing that triggers the fault 13 code ?? before I go buying another one, would you buy new or get one from the wreckers?
Ozengines

@

@shilts

I dunno why you wouldn't just go to Holden and buy an original. I just replaced both 4 wire senors in my VS for $67 each. There is also a thread somewhere here that details a mod you can do to the O2 sensor wiring terminations at the ECU. The earthing at the ECU end is a bit dodgy, so the mod involves cutting wires D14 & D16 - O2(left & right) earth returns at the ECU respectively, soldering them together, and providing a more robust earth termination for them via a short piece of wire attached under a self tapper to a body point close to the ECU (there are several holes suitable along side the ECU). This fixes mixture in-balances in L/R side fuel/air mixture, and rough idle problems when hot, ie the ECU does not go into closed loop mode, and cant react fast enough to correct for mixture problems detected by your O2 sensors.
Hope this helps, Cheers