Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Is my Head Gasket Gone????? Please HELP

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
Hey guys,
ive started to notice that sometimes when i start my car or accelarate really hard (like in a drag .. etc) ill get Blue/White Smoke come from my exhaust ... ive only had the car about 3weeks (previous owner was a older guy) It also has a very oily smell to the exhaust also..ive only done a service about 900km ago and apparently everything came up ok (tho at that time i wasnt aware of smoke comming out of the back of the car) as fair as im aware i dont think it uses alot of oil but cannot be sure about that. The Engine stays cool (just above cold) but ive noticed that the engine warning light comes on about once a week and goes off within about 5mins .. anyone expernced anything like this b4?

Thanks ppl
Sean,

Cryogenic

Indifferent
Reaction score
Members Ride
2001 HSV VX Clubsport
burnt oil being burnt is more attributed to piston rings rather than a head gasket. As for your engine light, probably worth running a diagnostic and see what the ECU says the problem is. Should be able to get more info on how to do this by doing a forum search.

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
Check under your rocker covers for milky oil, or simply drain the oil and check for any discolourations, if it's mikly oil then coolant is leaking and you have a blown head gasket.

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
Ok this might sound stupid as i have no idea, but i thought that if u change your oil rings you need to change your heads...not sure just thought i herd that somewhere

shaggerz

Reaction score
Members Ride
2004 VY2 SV8 A4
In order to change piston rings you need to get right into the block and remove the pistons. This normally neccesitates removal of the engine, but it is possible to do it with the engine still in the car.

Unfortunately you do need to remove the heads and every time you remove the heads you must replace the head gasket.

I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but worn piston rings are even more of a pain to fix than a blown head gasket, so you'll want to make sure that is the problem if you can before you attempt to fix it.

I got shafted by a guy selling me a car that was crook in many ways. Ended up losing over $3000 out of the whole ordeal. I hope it doesn't go that way for you too.

Good luck.

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
Get a compression test done. This can answer a lot of questions cheaply.If you have a compression guage it will only take an hour at the most. Usually about 15 minutes.If you get a low reading squirt some oil in the cylinder & retest. If the wet test raises the pressure you have worn rings. If not then either leaking valves or head gasket.Make sure you disconnect the ENG.INJ & ENG.COMP fuses before doing the test.minimum pressure is around 690kpa.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Dunno about the engine light but for the blue smoke (if from a high mileage engine), I'd be putting in thicker oil - the next grade up from 20/50 - think it's 40/70....anyway, they sell the stuff everywhere for "older engines". Its a lot cheaper and quicker than fixing the engine.

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
O2 sensor

O2 sensor

Its probably blowing smoke because it was an old man vehicle, never taken beyond 2500 rpm, now is being thrashed and therefore the piston rings have shat themselves letting oil through.

Capish??

MaNiac_VP

Mr Moderator !
Reaction score
Website
www.justcommodores.com.au
Members Ride
VPII Calais
And chaing the piston rings or valve seats is probably not worth it just for a bit of smoke.

Use a thicker grade magnetic oil and if you must thrash it hard, then check and top up the oil level often.