Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

my knock sensor was broken for abit what does the car loose without it?

greatone

vuss
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
whats the car loose does it loose power is fuel worse?

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'm not sure but I think there is one on both sides...and if they were not operating I'd imagine you engine timing would not be as advanced as it could be - I think the way they work is that the ECU advances the ignition till the engine "knocks" or "pings", then backs it off till the timing is just before this point....this gives max power and economy.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Only 1 knock sensor on the V8 ;)

Your timing would have been retarded (back to the base 10 degrees BTDC), meaning reduced power and you may be chewing up more fuel if you're still trying to drive it hard. No damage to the engine though.

starkeyholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
Just guessing but logically your ecu would revert to the maps for standard old ulp fuel. (just in case thats what you are using) which means that running premium or higher octane would be a waste of money till it was fixed. Basically your car will err on the side of caution, to avoid any damage.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
what is a knock sensor and is the one one a VL?

VL400

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais - Quadcam V8, tiptronic auto, 3.9lokka
Actually the ECU just retards timing 6 degrees across all load points, it does not revert back to 10deg base timing.

The VS V8 has only one spark map, there are no high or low octane maps until later models.

The knock sensor is only used for some safety margin it does not mean the ECU activley advances spark until knock then backs it off some. It may do something similar if really crap fuel is used only due to the algorithm but it is not as smart as the late model vehicles which still really dont do it exactly like that. Really all that happens is you run off the main spark map, if some knock happens the timing is retarded (more for more knock, less for less knock) it then adds some spark back in after about 200mS, waits 200ms and adds some more back and keeps going until spark retard is 0 deg and you are back to the values in the main spark map.

VL Turbos had a knock sensor, no other VLs do from factory.

s0sage

Posting aimlessly ..
Reaction score
Members Ride
MX6 - Turbo .... so flame me
clever little sensor innit

greatone

vuss
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
my knock sensor is fixed now so should i get the timing and all that done again?

VL400

Reaction score
Members Ride
VL Calais - Quadcam V8, tiptronic auto, 3.9lokka
Nup, just reset the ECU/PCM by disconnecting the battery for a minute or two to clear all the fault codes from memory to start fresh for any new codes that may appear. The ECU/PCM only pulls timing when the CEL is on for a code 43, once it clears the spark advance is controlled like normal.

greatone

vuss
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
so without doing that would it have still had some faults in it so wouldnt be going as good as it should.