Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

rusting spare wheel well

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
i'm in the process of replacing the vh. i've had a look at a vl and 2 vs sedans. in the process i've noticed something rather disturbing. they have all had rust in the spare wheel well.

i'm replacing the vh cos it was full of rust, and don't want to be getting a car with rust if i can help it.

is the wheel well rusting a common thing, or is it a case of wet weather in darwin wreaking havoc?

could people go and have a look under their vs sedans and report back?

adam

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
i have a vl and mine is rusted out too with a hole i can fit 2 fingers in

Infus10n

Reaction score
Members Ride
Holden Captiva (Work Demo)
yeh mines rusted through a bit in my vs.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
My VS is as dry as a nun's nasty. The VC, well a different proposition, instead of a steel wheel well it now has lead sheets caked in bog and bituminous paint - no longer capable of rusting!!

Leaky tail-lights are pretty common VN-VS, and I guess that Darwin's rainfall would make the problem more evident.

walesy

Aint no family cruiser!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
Cherry Black WH II Caprice, VS exec wagon
it diddnt rain when i went to darwin, its a nice city but... alot bigger than i expected it to be

D

danny6424

Mine had sum but thats cus it was leaking into there and there was alil puddle under the spare. i fixed the hole and its fine now.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Yes i think this may be a fairly common problem, after heavy rain if i drive through a few puddles you will get a bit of water in there. Nothing major, would be a number of ways of fixing it. I think there is a little air vent behind the spare that may let the water in if you go through a big puddle.

Bax

Projecting
Reaction score
Members Ride
Nothing
My old one was like that, just caked over some bitumen paint.

If my new one is similar I'll do it properly, sand any rust away and then cake the paint in.

R

rattattack1313

Yers.................mine is slightly rusted too....a little job for the weekend..... :thumbsup: