Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

maybe buying a vs on gas - what to look for

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
I am having a look at a vs v6 on factory gas tommorrow.

Is there anything in particular i should be looking out for?

adam

Clacker

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec Series II
I'm no expert but I'd be seeing how it runs on petrol to make sure the fuel system has been maintained, you're supposed to run petrol once a week or so which also helps the engine (so I'm told, I didn't think unleaded had lubrication properties) so if its runs rough, maybe that side of things has been neglected.

Other than that take it for a drive and see if it idles smoothly and doesn't hesitate under acceleration (on gas).

Maybe also look at the airbox, expect the occasional backfire so see if the airbox is cracked, recently replaced or has one of many homemade "plug" mods to prevent damage to more expensive parts.

Clacks

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
the guy said on the phone that he always starts in on petrol then switches it over to gas.

i also asked about the backfiring. he said it happened once, when he started on gas not fuel, and that he has a couple of the clips undone so it doesn't blow too badly.

ntl

Reaction score
Members Ride
96 VS 3.8L V6 Commodore
How many k's has it done? Have a listen for "choofing" out of the exhaust. If so, could be a sign heads are on there way out.

vh-holden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS sedan and a VK DRGWGN
250000km it was a company car (for kleenheat gas ironically)