Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

listen to this nightmare scenario

J

just george

i have a vs exec, and lately the radiator core has rotted out. sometimes it wont leak, and other times its a torrent...so theres always a chance of the engine overheating, and you have to keep an eye on the temp guage as you drive. (ive ordered a new radiator, i know, i know)

so anyway, im driving along last night, and because its a full moon/im a bad person/ bad karma, it turns out that my alternator dies.

the battery goes flat as i drive.

the only symptom: fuel and temperature guages sit on zero.

temperature guage unresponsive, in my radiator leaking car, that i have to keep an eye on.

so i get to where im going, and as im about to park...car dies. it doesnt seize, but power is down by 70%. i can rev it, but it hardly moves.

i pop the bonnet, and the water in the resovoir is boiling.

mate did i have an awful night last night, thinking i cooked the bloody thing

anyway as it turns out, went back to the car today (where i left it) and the oil doesnt smell burnt, and theres actually lots of water in both the radiator and the resovoir, and the engine turns over...so im thinking there just wasnt enough power to run the injectors etc, and so all i need to do is charge the battery and change the alt, and everything should be alright

still. bastard of a thing to happen

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
may only need to check the alternater brushes or some thingy bolted to it [ regulator? ] the actualy alternator itself may well be fine.....

still, good to see it isnt out for the count

pj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
I think i'd be putting in a thermostat, amongst other things.