Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

supercharge questions

brenz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
I am looking at getting a VS S-Pack and i am planning on getting it supercharged, now i have read all the other threads on this topic so dont link me to another thread.

My question is if i wanted to get 12psi+ what is the process of changing internals to cope with the extra power/pressure? What are the things that must be changed. Rough prices would be sick thanks :thumbsup:

Cheers Brendon

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Not sure of the exact differences between the S/C and normally aspirated v6... but when increasing boost / manifold pressures you'll be needing stronger valve springs to make sure that the inlet valves seat properly aswell as stronger pistons / rods and a lower compression ratio. :thumbsup:

Supercharged V6

Manufacturer GM
Type V-6
OHV
12 valves total
2 valves per cylinder
Main bearings 4
Construction
Bore × stroke 96.52mm × 86.36mm
3.8 in × 3.4 in
Bore/Stroke ratio 1.12
Displacement 3791 cc
(231.341 cu in)
Unitary capacity 631.83 cc/cylinder
Compression ratio 8.50:1
Fuel system EFi
Aspiration S/Charged
Compressor type
Intercooler
Catalytic Converter Y
Max. output
(DIN) 232.2 PS (229.0 bhp) (170.8 kW)
@5200 rpm
Max. torque
(DIN) 375.0 Nm (277 lbft) (38.2 kgm)
@3000 rpm
Maximum rpm
Coolant Water
Specific output 60.4 bhp/litre
0.99 bhp/cu in
Specific torque 98.92 Nm/litre

Ecotech

Code
Manufacturer GM
Type V-6
OHV
12 valves total
2 valves per cylinder
Main bearings 4
Construction
Bore × stroke 96.52mm × 86.36mm
3.8 in × 3.4 in
Bore/Stroke ratio 1.12
Displacement 3791 cc
(231.341 cu in)
Unitary capacity 631.83 cc/cylinder
Compression ratio 9.40:1
Fuel system EFi
Aspiration Normal
Compressor type N/A
Intercooler None
Catalytic Converter Y
Max. output
(DIN) 206.8 PS (204.0 bhp) (152.1 kW)
@5200 rpm
Max. torque
(DIN) 305.0 Nm (225 lbft) (31.1 kgm)
@3600 rpm
Maximum rpm
Coolant Water
Specific output 53.8 bhp/litre
0.88 bhp/cu in
Specific torque 80.45 Nm/litre

brenz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
Are those stock specs ??

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
brenz said:
I am looking at getting a VS S-Pack and i am planning on getting it supercharged, now i have read all the other threads on this topic so dont link me to another thread.

My question is if i wanted to get 12psi+ what is the process of changing internals to cope with the extra power/pressure? What are the things that must be changed. Rough prices would be sick thanks :thumbsup:

Cheers Brendon
seriously, if you have enough money to throw around, i would go with the come stroker kit. they have a few different models and one of them caters for boosted applications. www.comeracing.com.au

K

Konker

just read up there about lowering compression. this is not a problem when supercharging. that is a turbo charging problem. people are led to beleive that increasing the air in a cylinder will raise compression so be careful. a commy is not a problem and supercharging even less so. because a suupercharger works in an entirely different way to a turbo charger beleive me this aint a problem. i have put a holley supercharger on my stock (ex-stock) 94 vr 3.8 and running a 14 pound pulley kit and it dont get any hotter make anynoises (apart from a nice whine) or have any adverse effects (apart from sustained loss of traction at points). best advice is a holley coz it bolts straight on even the funky spacers for the block are included in the kit and holley have been doing their sh it for years now. but remember no point putting extra air in if it cant get out so do exhaust at the same time!!!

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
Konker said:
just read up there about lowering compression. this is not a problem when supercharging. that is a turbo charging problem. people are led to beleive that increasing the air in a cylinder will raise compression so be careful. a commy is not a problem and supercharging even less so. because a suupercharger works in an entirely different way to a turbo charger beleive me this aint a problem. i have put a holley supercharger on my stock (ex-stock) 94 vr 3.8 and running a 14 pound pulley kit and it dont get any hotter make anynoises (apart from a nice whine) or have any adverse effects (apart from sustained loss of traction at points). best advice is a holley coz it bolts straight on even the funky spacers for the block are included in the kit and holley have been doing their sh it for years now. but remember no point putting extra air in if it cant get out so do exhaust at the same time!!!
are you for real or what?? :shutup: you should go to the library and read up on a few things before you say stuff like that. whether it be turbocharging or supercharging, you are doing EXACTLY THE SAME THING! forcing air into the cylinder. the difference is in how the compressors are driven. As for the compression thing, no, it technically doesnt raise static compression, but because you are forcing more air into the same space, you increase cylinder pressures. THAT'S why you decrease compression if you are running a fair bit of boost.

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
EcotecManiac said:
are you for real or what?? :shutup: you should go to the library and read up on a few things before you say stuff like that. whether it be turbocharging or supercharging, you are doing EXACTLY THE SAME THING! forcing air into the cylinder. the difference is in how the compressors are driven. As for the compression thing, no, it technically doesnt raise static compression, but because you are forcing more air into the same space, you increase cylinder pressures. THAT'S why you decrease compression if you are running a fair bit of boost.
well put 100%

K

Konker

fine but untill my commodore spits the dummy i stand by my word. i dont want this to get ugly so everyones got their own opinion thats just mine

VT-565

Reaction score
Members Ride
VT
there is a reason your commodore hasn't melted a piston yet. what i said in my post before wasnt my own opinion, but it is fact. What you said was your own opinion on the subject. I simply corrected you. What do you do for a living anyway?