Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

loose engine part

Snotty

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina auto s2
i was looking at a VS that i am thinking of buying and i noticed that there is a part on the engine that seams to move around a bit.

heres a picture saying where it is, its the yellow arrow.

Also, when i accelerated hard, the engine shuddered a bit, but not when accelerating slowly.

Does anybody know a good mechanic in the sutherland shire that i can take it to?

sorry bout all the questions,

thanks in advance,
scott

Attachments

• engine parts2.JPG
    engine parts2.JPG
    93.1 KB · Views: 213

dlzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 3.8 V6
engine pulleys just need replacing after awhile.. general wear and tear.

i changed mine with these metal rings instead of the plactic ones it had on there, they where also making alot of noise (also good indication of when to replace them)

the shuddering, few people on here have said it can be to do with leads/coil packs/battery terminals.

Doctor Bob

Grandpa
Reaction score
Members Ride
RG. Colorado & Caravan
Thats the belt tensioner it is spring loaded to keep the belt tight... its supposed to move.
The other sounds like a misfire.

Rob

greatone

vuss
Reaction score
Members Ride
vy ss
more likly ur leads i had that problem on the v6.

M

matt69

Roland says its the belt tensioner. its supposed to move. dont **** withit cos its hard to get it bak on.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Changing the belt is very very easy. I might even make a how to in the next weekend or two. 10 minute job.

But to your question.

No it shouldnt be loose, it should be keeping the belt tight.

Last edited:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
kopper69 said:
Changing the belt is very very easy. I might even make a how to in the next weekend or two. 10 minute job.

10min :s 2min maybe

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I can tell you now fitzy2005 some of these guys will never have seen it before and will not get it done in 2 mins. No need to be a smartass

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Regarding the shuddering when accelerating hard - this is pretty normal though some do it more than others. My VS has the FE2 suspension and shudders just as though she is missing when putting the boot in. It's been like that for 60,000km now and no problems.
Re the belt and the tensioner pulley that moves - also normal however this can be an indication that one or more idler pulleys are running rough and grabbing...no big deal as they are $15-20 each new. Be aware that the bolt thread on the tensioner pulley is LEFT-HAND! and the other are normal right hand thread. Good Luck..

P

portercg

The shuddering on accelleration is usually due to an imperfect diff pinion angle I kid you not. It's tricky to get rid of, Holden even made different length lower control arms for the rear end. I got this from when I worked at a dealer in the early '90's