Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Vs commodore idle problem

lexcedore

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS commodore S2
I have a 1996 toyota lexcen vs commodore. Lately the idle has been slightly annoying pulling up to lights it almost stalls. Before this all started in park and neutral it would idle at 900 approx and drop to 700-800 in gear and when put back in neutral would rise again. When turned on now it revs about the same sought of 900 but when placed in drive/ a gear it drops to about 700 max and the with aircon about 500. i have changed the leads cleaned throttle body and getting new spark plugs tomorrow i have taken this to a mechanic twice and has not fixed the problem they are continuing with the whole no problem scenario. any help would be much appreciated thanks

V

VSAccCom

fistly do a search this has been covered many times, eg coil packs, dody fuel pump, clogged fuel filter, clogged injectors all adds up

P

portercg

The Idle speed is controlled by a little black thing on top of the throttle body called an IAC (idle air control) Could rattle on about the whole thing but best thing is to bite the bullet and take it to someone who knows his stuff.
He should start by accessing the ECU for fault codes, & go from there.
A tip... your ignition system has nothing to do with idle speed. Your ignition system will either make a spark or not (make a spark) and if not it will misfire rather than make the engine idle down.

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
When you cleaned out the throttle body did you make sure you cleaned the IAC? When I cleaned my TB I noticed my IAC was as dirty as the TB itself. Also I highly doubt that the spark plugs will have anything to do with the idle problem unless the engine is missing during acceleration. I also find it very odd that the air con would be affecting the idle so much. When I switch the air con on mine theres a difference of only 100RPM if that. Best be may be an auto electrician.