Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

A/C fan problem

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Just after a bit of advise. My internal fan isnt working. Which means my A/C or just normal. I have checked my fan speed resistor, no probs there, cant see any problem with relay or fuse. So im down to either the control for the fan, the little 1-2-3-HI, which i can purchase on ebay and replace. But im probably thinking it could be the fan motor. Has anybody had this problem and what was your fix? I tried searchin, not much help. I can get to the fan motor, how much of a problem is it to replace if that is the problem??

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
You would have checked that 12V is reaching the switch and the resistor pack and on to the fan??? - can you locate the wires which enter the fan motor to check for 12V. If the motor failed you would have smelt something burning as the armature melted unless the motor happened to stop on a "dead spot" on the armature. Even a twig or loose wire which may have jammed the motor squirrel cage would have either overheated the armature or blown the fuse. Those fan motors seem to go on and on and never fail - and I think in your case it will be something absolutely simple and looking you in the face. Good Luck.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Im hoping its something i have just overlooked. Its just in a difficult to trace the wires. I tried to check the 12v at the motor but didnt want to pull it apart too much because it was getting dark. Going to replace the interior A/C assembly, should be able to pick one up for under $20. Otherwise its the fan, im bit more confident about it now that you metioned that they are pretty reliable. Hopefully I wont have to find out if they are a pain to replace. Now that I think about it I did notice a bit of a burning smell the other day but it wasnt too strong so I wasnt too concerned. I spun the fan while it was turned on, no good, does that rule out the possibility of a 'dead spot'.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
I have checked my fan speed resistor, no probs there

how do you know there is no prob there, because i bought one new the other day and it was faulty got replaced under warranty and 2nd one works fine. is the fan not working full stop? or sometimes?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
The fan isnt working full stop. Tried two fan speed resistors, definatly not the problem.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Look for a violet/yellow wire near the rear of the fan motor - check this wire for 12V with it switched on (IGN) - stick a pin thru the insulation and if no 12V then this means no power to fan motor.