Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Diff

F

fattypomba

Hi all,
The daughter has a VS 1996 V6 has a solid rear end.
The diff has a wine in it.
I have not as yet checked the oil, from the out side doesn't seem to have any oil leaks.
If it is full of oil what is the most common thing that makes these rear ends wine??
If I got a whole rear end for it can I just change the diff center OR is just easier to change the whole thing??
Thanks to any one who replies

ben315vz

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
'05 Holden VZ Calais V8
Hey mate,

Usually it's the bearings inside the diff are what wears out and causes it to whine. It is fairly common and we have had a few of them come it to work because of it.

Best thing would be to get the diff reconditioned. Now I am assuming that it is not LSD? If it isn't then it should cost between $300-$500 (depending where you take it) to be fully reconditioned with new bearings and seals. If it is LSD then it will be more around $800-$1000.

It is the best option and you will be extremely happy with yourself afterwards for deciding to get it done.

Otherwise there is something else you could try, but I cannot guarantee that it will work. Repco (and maybe other stores like Autobarn, Supercheap, etc) sell a tube of Nulon Manual Gearbox and Diff Treatment, it is supposed to stop diff whines. All you need to do is drain the oil, put this whole tube of Nulon Manual Gearbox and Diff Treatment in and then fill up with new diff oil (up to the bottom of the filler plug).

As I said, you would be better off going with option 1 but if you are on a budget, then you can try the second option.

I can say for sure that I have put a tube of that Nulon Manual Gearbox and Diff Treatment in a Mitsubishi Express Van and it didn't make a difference.

Here is a link to the stuff I am taking about: Manual Gearbox and Diff Treatment - Nulon Australia

Last edited:

HTV1900

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
Blown SS VY
u should drain the diff of the wine and put proper diff oil in it. as for your daughters solid rear end, maybe try jenny craig?

FATMOE

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Clubsport R8
u should drain the diff of the wine and put proper diff oil in it. as for your daughters solid rear end, maybe try jenny craig?

That was uncalled for.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Do you know if it is a red or a white wine, or did you mean whine? :)

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
how many km's has the car done?
Try the above mentioned nulon treatment and fresh oil, quickest to try or do what i used to do.... Turn the stereo up

F

fattypomba

Ha
Yes sorry whine not wine my spelling is ****. And yes she normally just turns up the stereo. Ha and as far as the jenny craig comment goes, I at 50 years old might need to see jenny craig but her at 18 she's beating them off with a stick.

Tatiana

We should have sushi Carol
Staff member
Reaction score
Members Ride
Equinox LTZ - runs on cocaine
Interesting you are in SA too. My son has an issue with his diff also and looking for someone to fix or replace it.

Looks like we both have kids with diff issues except his is a VT lol