Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR SS hsv enhanced??

QWK-11E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2009
guys,

just a quick question, i know the VR SS came out with the normal 5.0L and the HSV enhanced motor, now how do u tell if its a HSV enhanced motor??

is there anything to look for??

ive seen one that is totally standard i think it may be the HSV enhanced one as on the intace plastic it has the HSV on it?? is this correct could u please help me??

cheers

M

Masher

Prob would need to look at the compliance plate and give the engine # to a Holden dealer?

A lot of them had the "185i" badges.....other than that, I'm out of ideas!

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
Simple check is to look for a knock sensor. Check midway up the block driver's side beneath the exhaust manifold. If it's on the passenger side then most likely an aftermarket installation. If not there at all it's a standard 5.0 with HSV plastic to fool the average joe. Also the memcal will have a filter board on it.

QWK-11E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2009
so the HSV plstic did come out on the HSV enhanced one`s??

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Not sure that they were offered on the VR models but I had an HSV enhanced engine on my 95 VS Calais and it had the following:
. HSV build number plate in the engine compartment
. HSV exhaust system
. HSV "enhanced" decal on the LHS dashboard
. HSV logo CAI (although my wife's genuine 96 VS Clubsport only has a blank CAI and not a HSV logo CAI)

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
HSV enhanced is a tricky thing to fgure. Only way to tell, get the build numbers, and ring HSV. I was looking at a VS SS that was 'enhanced' with all the badging and crap. All that HSV actually fitted was a trip computer... :shooting:

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
only things that are different from the normal models are:
knock sensor, usually located half way up the block on the right hand side
hsv cold air intake
dual exhaust
hsv memcal
it will have a build plate somewhere near the firewall as well, and others have said, will have various 185i badges around, including on the engine covers, rear of the car, and a decal on the passenger side dash :)
hope this helps!

STEALTHY™

So Wet For You!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Calais International, FPV, Audi
I should elaborate. Enhancing is like buying a car from the factory, you get tick box options. Depends how many boxes were ticked when taken to HSV.

QWK-11E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2009
so with the standard 5.0L engine (non HSV enhanced) wat type of power roughly am i looking at the wheels?? standard no modifications

ChRiDDa

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SS-Z Sportwagon
depending on the condition of the motor, STANDARD you are looking at around 120-130
ive seen better and ive seen worse, just depends on how the car was driven in when new
driven like it was stolen = should have good power, could even get one with around 140odd at the treads out of a standard motor
driven like a grandpa = ****, ive seen a vn 5L make 89 at the wheels :my:
all to do with how the rings were bedded in
if the motor has been rebuilt, u can throw all of what i just said, out the window :)