Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Engine leaking petrol when not running?

S

sverzijl

I was installing some new ignition leads into my car the actual seperators (which had been replaced by dodgy ones by the original owner that allowed them to touch the rocket cover)

In vain I tried to put a new seperator in the mounting behind the alternator. Tried getting out a spanner and loosing the bolt holding the mount for the seperator to the engine (so I could rotate it, clip the seperator in and then rotate it back) but that was impossibly tight and I couldn't undo (not because of strength, spanner just gave way (and when I say gave way, I mean just starting scraping metal off the nut, not the spanner breaking)).

I give up and then about 5 minutes later I hear a trickle sound that lasted for about 5 seconds and then stopped and the smell of petrol hit my noise. Noticed a tiny pool of petrol in one of the 'channels' just under where the mounting is.

Looking at some of the other 'channels' there seems to be some grit in them which makes me think petrol has been collecting there (or possibly not).

Is this something major? Have I caused it (I don't know how since I haven't touched anything on the engine itself)? And is it a problem that will just happen this once and not occur again (Allowing me to drive later tonight...)

THanks,

Last edited by a moderator:

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
It sounds like you have upset the fuel rail which is held down by the same bolts.While you havent loosened the bolt you could have accidently flexed the rail & caused one of the seals to unseat. Petrol & a hot engine cause fire so I would repair the leak before driving.Note that the fuel pump will only run for a few seconds without the engine being started so you may need someone else to turn the ignition on while you look for the leak. Hope this helps.