Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS auto - towing

D

donny b

Hi all. The owner's handbook says not to tow with the rear wheels on the deck if towing speed exceeds 55klm/hr and/or distance towed exceeds 55klm.

Anyone know for sure what gets damaged in the box if that handbook advice is ignored eg. towed at 100klm/hr for say, 25klms?

Koontz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
donny b said:
with the rear wheels on the deck

What does this part of the sentance mean?

I will tell you all I know, hope it helps answer your question.

I have a HD towbar which allows up to 1600KG speeds up to 100km/h. The weight must be evenly distributed on what is towed so the car is only pulling the weight not carrying any more than say for example 300KG.

When I had my trans rebuilt the mechanic put in a seperate radiator for the trans as he said they get mighty hot when your towing a load.

I think you also have the potential to pull the back end out of the car or skew it if you tow more than the load specified for the tow bar.

A HD tow bar has anchor points that go right back to below the C pillars.

A light tow bar only has mounts accross the back of the boot.

A super HD tow kit has some extra strethening cross members installed inthe boot to stop the chassis flexing.

Also the recommended speeds are also to allow you to safely tow your load as without stabilisers etc at 100km if you get wind sheer that throws your load you wont be regaining control.

So I think the speed restriction is more for your safety than to prevent damage to the car.

All that said! I have towed a car trailer with a vehicle many times over 100km distance in a VN v6 at over 100km/h and the box was still fine with 300K on the clock. It handled it fine but I wouldnt go much faster.

Ive seen nutters in 4wds fly past me on port wakefield road at 120km + racing to go fishing for the w/e on yorks with thier cabin boats on single axel trailers. They dont look to stable wobling around everywhere on thier tiny wheels.

starkeyholden

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Adventra
What the handbook means is when you're car is being towed by another I imagine it may upset your torque converter and maybe some of the valves in your automatic transmission if you exceed those limits.
The solution is to either put your car on a car trailer, or just disconnect the tailshaft from your diff and then tie it inplace out of the way or pull it out. That way there is no force being transferred to your Auto transmission. Hope this helps

Note: This only applies to cars with Automatics!

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
I found that towing a boat at 100km/h is fine in normal conditions. When the wind pick up it's a different story. Coming home from Blanchtown one time, just as you get over the hills before entering Truro. If you were to get a cross wind the boat trailer would move around a lot and you will go though almost twice as much fuel. Slowing down to 80 - 90km/h is a safer bet. Leaving the gear shift in 3rd can reduce the temperature in the gearbox by limiting the downshift when going up hill and overtaking.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The reason is that the oil pump inside your automatic transmission is engine driven. This means that if the motor isn't running, but the trans is turning over because it is being towed, then no lubrication will be available to lubricate the innards of the trans. Older transmissions had a front and rear oil pump which meant when the vehicle was towed the box would still be lubricated by the rear pump.

D

donny b

Sorry, I did not explain it too well. I did mean when my car is being towed by another. The handbook says if you tow it with the rear wheels turning, dont go over 55klm/hr because it can damage the auto tranny. What I was wanting to know is specifically what gets damaged in the tranny? Hako has given me the answer, anyone got anything to add please?

Raging Bull

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX S Pack L67
If you're planning on towing in you V6 VS Auto, you really need an aftermarket transmission cooler, they work great.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
The series 2 VS has an additional transmission cooler fitted as standard - it sits in front of the airconditioner condenser and cools the oil after it has been thru the cooler in the radiator. Early VS had a habit of boiling the trans oil when towing - used to spit the dipstick out etc.

auc05l

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina V6
Remove the tailshaft from the diff end and tie it out of the way before towing. Why does the car have to be towed? Can the engine be running? (for braking and steering purposes) Do you have access to a car trailer? If cost is the issue think of what it will cost if you have an accident while towing, I'd recon it would be fair bit compared to the $50 for half day hire on a car trailer. Just my opinion anyway, Best of luck whatever way you go!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I don't think donni b is actually going to tow the car....just reading the handbook and asking questions (which I wish I'd done before some of the stupid things I've done!).