Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

MY Vr V6 Engine is slowly dying on me, Any ideas what engine to put in low cost ??

XALARA444

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Commodore BT1
I Have a 1994 Vr Commodore BT1 (ex chaser)
My water pump keeps on blowing and i opened up the rocker cover and it was full of sludge previous owner did not look after it at all
so ive now decided to change the engine
was thinking to put a Vy ecotec inside with a VY tranny with the Vs wiring loom.
but ive rang around and noone wants to take on a job like that
any other ideas ??

Maxmadmat

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina Wagon 3.8 & VS Sedan Manual 3.8
Just put the same motor tye back in it. If your going to try converting it to a latter set up there is a lot of work involed which = Time = $$$$$$ so no, not surprised no one is interested in taking it on. I recently put a motor with 190,000 on it & well serviced into my VR for $1300 turn key & serviced.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
As above - just source another motor and swap it over - less hassles. In the big smoke you should be able to get a VR motor exhanged/installed for under $1000 driveaway. It's tight times for wreckers due to the perceived complexity of modern cars and they just don't have the sales of old - this allows you to get a better price. You could DIY with a few mates and a carton or two.