Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

NGK BPR6EFS-15 plug gap

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Changed to the above plugs as directed and was told to not touch the gaps as out of the box, (and yes I never checked them).

Removed the old and very worn GMH plugs and noticed all had a very large gap and when measured it was just about 1.5 mm +/-.01 - .02.

Problem is now when cold it will not rev enging if throttle is blipped open until it's warm, then it goes like a rocket with no problems at all.

On the first start it starts up first turn no problems at all but it will only take gentle throttle opening or it gasps for fuel until it's warm in neutral, but once it either warms up or is simply driven away it seems fine.

Should I remove the plugs and gap them, just by looking the new ones were no where near 1.5 mm but not bothering to check I can't say what they are.

The stock VS screams along when warm, (just a few minutes), and has much more power with the new plugs but the old ones took quick throttle immediately when started up cold but had less power when warm.

Was I just too lazy or did I take the wrong advice to not touch the gaps.

R

rattattack1313

1.5 is the reccomended gap, mate.............check the leads, too..............

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
Interesting indeed, I gapped them at 1.5 mm at 5.00am this morning and they were not that far off it, 1.3 perhaps, I'm thinking that the V8 uses the same plugs and has a gap of 1.3, in that case the shop made a mistake when he said to not touch them, even though I said 6 cylinder engine and bought only six plugs..

Anyway all at 1.5, leads look fairly new, no missing whatsoever and a glass of water could be sat on the engine, the same thing happens in neutral, so I jumped in and only drove around the block, immediately it ran OK and it never showed any sag or hesitation in gear, driving a cold engine, then literally on my return home I tramped it into the driveway and it smoked it up so whether it's the ecotec computer or something related to it, I have no idea why it does it.

Once "warm" or "hot" or once the system computer lets it, the car screams along with no fault whatsoever, still giving a healthy 7 lit / 100 Km, and the engine has 240k on it, sure other stuff has been replaced, Rack, tie rods and other steering parts, shocks, rubbers, brakes etc but it was a company car before I got it and was serviced as per the book, "I have the book"

Why would it show a sag or hesitation with a quick throttle when cold ?

Got me stuffed, give me a carby and dizzy and it's simple but what the V6 computer thinks, I don't know, BTW I build normal PC's so computers are not strange to me.

Suggestions, BTW I'm not a petrol head "any more".

:b: :computer:

not_just_any_vr

Reaction score
Members Ride
vr executive
just put a decimal place in between the very last two digits and you get the gap
BPR6EFS-15 = 1.5mm
BPR6EFS-11 = 1.1mm

greenfoam

Reaction score
Members Ride
VP Executive R-spec
You might have had a warmer plug in the car before, colder ones can take a bit be a bit dodgy on cold starts, then again I think the VS should run 6's standard, the VN is 7 I think but maybe you had 7's in it before

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
The original plugs were GM 92141875, all were stuffed with badly rounded centre electrodes.

It's really not as bad with the gaps opened up "in neutral cold" but cold in gear it's fine, near perfect.

It's unwise anyway to go reving any cold engine, so it's just a matter of starting it and taking time to lock up before going out.

Still it's ecotec related IMO, now being told of a guy that got zapped from a plug lead and it near blew a small hole in his bald head when it earthed it to the bonnet, so from that they must put out some volts and high voltage always likes bigger gaps and gives more power down low on other cars, it may even prefer 1.6 mm.