Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Indicator & horn... Please Help!

cunners3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII Wagon
Hi all,
I have a bit of a problem :b: , today I did a u-turn, just when I turned the wheel the full way around something went "click" and the steering wheel locked and it wouldn't turn anymore than a couple of cm's either way. I had to force it (sitting in the middle of the road with nowhere to go except around in circles) and then when I did, i heard another "click" but a bit louder..hehe

ok, the problems are as follows
1) The indicator does not automatically flick off now
2) The horn doesn't work
3) The horn goes off when I turn sometimes!! :whistling

Any advice is greatly appreciated!
Cheers in advance!

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
First thing is buy yourself a workshop manual for the VS....either from Ebay or Big W, Repco or whatever - you will need it to help you remove the combination switch which involves disabling the airbags etc which is something you don't want to stuff-up! Maybe you can scan a library copy. Once you remove the switch you can find out what needs replacing which will hopefully only be the switch. Good Luck.

cunners3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII Wagon
Cheers,
No airbags so I'm guessing this makes it easier, anyone got any pointers how to get to the switch or should I go buy the book?
Thanks again!

Charg'd

Reaction score
Members Ride
ford
cunners3 said:
Cheers,
No airbags so I'm guessing this makes it easier, anyone got any pointers how to get to the switch or should I go buy the book?
Thanks again!

vs11 no airbag????

cunners3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII Wagon
its an executive 1997 vs series 2 - no airbags...
I think it was only the executive which still didn't have airbags.
anyway, any ideas?

dlzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 3.8 V6
sounds like that part poped out which controls the indicators and horn. (dont know names)

you'll have to remove the steering wheel and align it all back into place and reconnect horn properly (not quite sure on commi ive only ever done a lancer lmao)

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd still buy a workshop manual which you can get for under $40 as you've only got to stuff one thing up and you've blown what you saved by not buying a manual. I'm still wondering why your VS has no airbags...my Exec sedan has 2 standard...maybe yours was an export model and re-imported back into Australia.

cunners3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII Wagon
Thanks for your advice Hako, I'll go and find a manual somewhere!

hako said:
... I'm still wondering why your VS has no airbags...my Exec sedan has 2 standard...maybe yours was an export model and re-imported back into Australia.

On the VS executive, optional extras included Driver's and/or Passenger's Airbag, ABS, IRS (not on wagon), 4 speed automatic transmission, air conditioning, cruise control, limited slip differential (LSD).

Mine doesn't have airbags, cruise or ABS... guess the guy I bought it from was a bit tight :unsure:

cunners3

Reaction score
Members Ride
1997 VSII Wagon
Anyway, after all that I have fixed it.
For anyone interested it was the cam canceler directly behind the wheel itself.
Pulled the whole lot of and hundreds of little plastic pieces fell out, I must have smashed it when I forced the wheel around.
Anyway Holden ordered me a new one and it cost me $12 and I just put it all back together and it works a treat!
So if anyone in the future has the same problem, its easy to fix, give it a shot... unless you have an airbag...