Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

overheating & transmission prob

longvrute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Lwb Ute
hey peoples ... i've got a overheating prob in my vr ute ... i've changed the radiator because i found water pissing outa the side of it under a pressure test so to me the only remaining factor would be the thermometer not working properly ... would there be anything else that would cause the problem ?
Another problem i have is with the auto transmission .. when im in 4th gear under load or going up hills just before the trans knocks back down to 3rd the ute it seems that the trans vibrates - is it on the way out or would a service fix it ?

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
I would just be going to see a company like red devil radiators. Your going to spend money anyway, I would get them to help you out if you live close to one. They might even tell you what needs to be done and you can arrange to do it. Its a bit hard to tell you what could be wrong unless you really know what your looking for and what you can check. The gregory's manual is great in pointing you in the right direction so if you dont have one i would suggest that you make the investment. It even lists 14 faults which lead to this problem. I can almost guarantee you that one of these 14 points giving you the trouble. Ill sum up these 14 points:
-Radiator cap
-Coolant low
-Air passage blocked in radiator core
-Coolant temp sensor
-Water pump
-Poor circulation
-Restricted exhaust
-Engine oil
-Brakes
-Clutch
Check the cooling fan is operating as it should as well. Is the engine overheating or do you think the guage is just telling you lies (ie a faulty sensor?)

longvrute

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Lwb Ute
Thanks kopper69 ... I'd say the guage isnt lying cause when you turn off the engine you can actually hear the boiling sound .. as for the radiator cap i have just purchaced a new one and i've just put a new radiator in so the coolant and radiator are fine as for the other items i'd say i'd have to check the water pump and thermometer and the coolant temp sensor.
Thanks for your input.

ads72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim 3.8
as for your tranny it sounds like the torque converter locking up. had the same problem with my vn and tanny guy says he can fix it by disconnecting lock up but the only problem is she will rev about 500-600 rpm higher so i deciced to put up with the problem, dont worry its not terminal in the short term. a good cheap fix is to get 2 bottles of lucas transmission anti-slip fix from your local repco store,drain current tranny fluid replace with 2 bottles of lucas and top up with normal tranny fluid. this will help but unfortunatly not fix.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Might pay to change the thermostat as well - they're pretty cheap and easy to change and generally fail in the closed position resulting in minimal coolant circulation.....end result = boiling.