Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

auto box probs?

H

hdt195

if I slow down fast, then take a Left hand turn sharp, bu auto box sounds like it slips a little as it changes gear... is this usual?
only does it when i plant it taking left hand corners. Note wheels don't loose traction either.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Check the fluid level with engine running and in park. It should be pink and not black or smell burnt. If suspect, change the auto transmission filter and oil. If fault is still apparent either live with it or plan on spending a lot of $$$$. Good luck.

MaXiLeeCH

irc.WorldIRC.org boss
Reaction score
Members Ride
1995 VR Series II Berlina
I had exactly this problem!

Cause: Excessive freeplay in the 2-3 clutchpack, worn servo & pump.
Cure: Gearbox overhaul.
I also have a Corvette Servo fitted, Kevlar Bands, a stage 2 shift kit and last but not least, I had the heavy duty 9 plate 2-3 clutchpack from the Utes & commercials fitted.
(I wanted to tow a Caravan)

Results: It's bloody fantastic!
Now the gearbox shifts are firmer, but only when you sink the boot into it and its shift points are slightly higher.
Fuel economy is back to the cars usual 6.0 to 6.5Litres/100Kms on a trip (I get over 1000Kms a tank out on the highway, about 500 - 600Km around town) and the performance is right back up there again.
(The car has the standard 67 litre tank)
I'm rapt with it.

Why do I get such great economy you ask?, a few reasons:
1. I live in country QLD so I do mainly long trips.
2. New Engine + new gearbox.

And the biggie:
3. Cruise control! :D

Have fun!

Last edited: