Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

commodore clonk

ads72

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs acclaim 3.8
my vs has developed the commodore clonk and my mechanic says that my shocks are ok and that its normal for a car of its age thats been driven on rough roads to get this. sounds strange to me that it cant be fixed anyone have any ideas

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Can be fixed. Im not too good on the suspension side of things, but a mate of mine has told me all about it before. Basically you dont need to worry about it until they break. When they break you get the clonk. Can be fixed, im sure someone will know all about it. Could have something to do with the brushes if i remember. I remember he reached in behind my wheel and checked and said nah thats fine.

M

Masher

mate, I can help as I just got the same problem...the commodore clonk generally comes from the anti roll bar ...the eye bushings wearing out...when they are totally stuffed, it gets worse very quickly and sounds like the wheels are falling off. Eventually, the eye pulls through the bushing and the remaining pin will bend. A replacement kit of both pins and bushings (for FE2...prob same for you) costs about $100NZ...can do it yourself if you've got axle stands and a spanner etc...but only about an hour labour anyway..and you dont need a realignment either.

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
If your mechanic thinks your shocks are OK I'm sure he would also have checked simple things like the drop links and sway bar bushes but it's worth a look to make sure. The other things that can fail are the tension rod bushes and the upper suspension strut bearings (these can be expensive to fix).