Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Problems!

R

ramz

hey guys, iv got a 94 VR Commodore. Since buying it a few months back, iv gotten it a major service (new leads, plugs), new fuel pump, new k&n pod, new o2 sensor, new coolant temp sensor.

Anyways, 2 problems Im having is
1) Temp guage going past red (car runs fine and when pulled over is cold in engine bay) - so im thinking the theromstat is having random outburts?

2) The car misfires alot, and gears out funny, and idles much under 800rpm (which is the set desired rpm). It also tends to try to cutout when putting into D or R during turning of the wheel.

Your Help would be greatly appreciated! Thx guys :)

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
does it misfire alot asin all time, or just idle?, ill psot a few links i rekon will be usefull

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
R

ramz

the car misfires all the time, there is no error codes (had the car connected to diagnostic thing for free by a mate). The power steering pump is leaking, and i make sure its filled all the time. I havn't cleaned out the throttle body. And i havn't had my transmission serviced. I might book in a normal service and a transmission service at autobahn. thx newayz

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
ramz said:
the car misfires all the time, there is no error codes (had the car connected to diagnostic thing for free by a mate). The power steering pump is leaking, and i make sure its filled all the time. I havn't cleaned out the throttle body. And i havn't had my transmission serviced. I might book in a normal service and a transmission service at autobahn. thx newayz

Quote: iv gotten it a major service (new leads, plugs), ????

hmm, with your power steerign leak, mines leaking too, and a mate told me that prolly why the car is nearly cutting out, maybe get the power steering leak fixed first..,

R

ramz

i got the leak fixed (new pipes and all) but the mechanics didnt replace the actual pump, they assumed that i ment that pipes were leaking... a new pump is like $300 :/ *sigh* bloody car!

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
ramz said:
i got the leak fixed (new pipes and all) but the mechanics didnt replace the actual pump, they assumed that i ment that pipes were leaking... a new pump is like $300 :/ *sigh* bloody car!

yea i think mine needs replacing too, not in too much of a hurry to replace it ..

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Do you know how to check the engine fault codes yourself. Wouldnt want to overlook a fault code, just because your mate missed it. All you need is a paperclip. The instructions have been posted before, just search, but i will be putting in a how to soon. If you have having these problems I would be expecting a fault code.

Ash81x

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais
i would be bleeding your cooling system too, if there is air in the head then it will run hot as gauge but wont necessarily get hot under the bonnet, easy for the air pocket to confuse the thermostat...

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
kopper69 said:
Do you know how to check the engine fault codes yourself. Wouldnt want to overlook a fault code, just because your mate missed it. All you need is a paperclip. The instructions have been posted before, just search, but i will be putting in a how to soon. If you have having these problems I would be expecting a fault code.

fitzy2005 said:
1) Clean Out the throttle body if it hasnt already been done.
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...read.php?t=6573

2) Check your computer for any fault codes
http://forums.justcommodores.com.au...read.php?t=3936

you missed my post :p