Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

help needed with fan

Spury

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs berlina
Just wondering if anyone has come across this before,
My heater fan under my dash ect. constantly stays on when the car is off,
At the moment I have been takin one of the battery terminals off.
I have taken out the blower fuse under the bonnet, so does anyone know what else i could try??

Any help would be great.

Cheers

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Never heard of this before, must be a bad earth somewhere. If your good with a multimeter go searching, otherwise i would be off to an autoelectrician.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I'd be thinking back to the last bit of work I'd done on the car as it is certainly due to something being connected where it shouldn't be. The fan runs off the ignition circuit which is physically separate from the accessories circuit....so the fan cannot run without the ignition switched on....unless a wire has been moved. Good Luck.

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY Calais, WHII Statesman V8, VC L 202
You'd think so Hako but the design of the VN-VS aircon system leaves a lot to be desired when it comes to faults identifying themselves.

Spury, the VS Berlina has climate control aircon standard right? Your problem will be the fan speed amplifier. I've been there twice before with the same problem - slightly unnerving the first time when the key is removed and the fan is going full blast! Note: it's nothing you've done to the amplifier, it is a common problem.

As to how to fix it, try this link here http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=12202&page=2&pp=10 and go to the last post by me. It has all the detail you need (with a link to the very thorough how-to). It's an easy fix and requires no more tools than a couple of spanners and a screwdriver.

If I'm wrong about the climate control being standard and you have the normal aircon, the fan speed resistor is located in the same place and will be causing you the same grief.

If you have any questions about it I'm happy to help you out.

Cheers,
Mark.

P.S. Clean out all the leaves and debris in the plenum chamber while you're there and also remove the fresh air intake cover (located on the passenger side) and give it a good clean - you won't be working the fan so hard and you'll notice that there won't be such a drop in fan speed when you switch from recirc to fresh air.

Spury

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs berlina
Thanks heaps for that Mark, I do have climate control so il give it a go.
Ill let ya know how i go with it.

Cheers once again for ya help
Nick

Spury

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs berlina
Mark,
Ive had a look at that link that sounds pretty straight forward, just one question is there a simple way to just disconect it for a while till i get sum cash to by the part? as so i dont have to disconect the termilnal each time?

cheers Nick

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
Yep, there should be an exposed clear plastic wiring loom connector in the passenger footwell right where the firewall meets the top of the transmission tunnel (i.e just below from where the rear of the stereo head unit would be). It runs directly to the fan, so just disconnect that when you stop the car. If for some reason it's not exposed in your car it's a simple task to remove the glovebox pin and the upper footwell panel to get to the wiring. There were no fuses or relays I found you could pull that would do the same job.

Spury

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs berlina
Awesome il give that ago, is this wire pretty easy to notice? will it be rite to drive the car until i get its done proply? (i.e of course i cant use the air con, but the it wont affect the car in anyway??

Thanks heaps again for ya help
Nick

Spury

Reaction score
Members Ride
95 vs berlina
Mark,
I notice your in Melbourne, may i ask where bouts?

Cheers

Demons1964

Reaction score
Members Ride
I'm in Narre Warren South.

To answer your other question, the "wire" you're looking for will be a bunch of wires (known as a loom) going into the back of a plug. There's only a couple of plugs in that location, phone carkit and fan from memory.

As for damage to the car, I did it to my Stato both times and no dramas but I only played with the plug while the accessories/ignition was off. I'd reconnect it before starting the car and when I turned the car off I'd disconnect it again, until I got around to replacing the amplifier. While you may not need to reconnect it today or tomorrow, I reckon on Thursday (31 degrees) you'll want it back on! Your aircon will still work fine, the fan will just be blowing at full speed. You're performing a similar job as pulling off the battery terminal, except that you're only doing it to the circuit the fan is on.