Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

over heating all the time!!!!!

AttaBoy

WTF?!?!
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim V6
Hi guys,

I have this really bad problem and I have searched this forums but eventually no luck.

Well heres what happened ...... My car started to over heat at the traffic lights or when stationary and temp needle would point about 3/4 up the temp guage but it drops to just below half way when cruising which is nornal when I got the car.( it usually stay about halfway when I got the car)
So I went to my mechanic to have a look at the radiator and he found a crack which means it needs a new radiator so I got it fixed. Still overheats and then I got him to change the thermostat.... Still over heats then he changed the temp sensor and then it still bloody showing 3/4 at the temp guage at the lights. :b:

I have spent ova $400 bloody bucks and still no fix!!
The coolant is at correct level all the time!!!!

Here is what been done.. - brand new radiator, new thermostat, new temp sensor, new coolant with correct holden number and mix.(water pump is ok)

So guy please help me to end this, as summer is comming close. WHAT DO I DO???? :b: My car is a VS Acclaim with ecotec engine. if you need this info

Thanks in advance guys

futronix

Reaction score
Members Ride
2012 VE SV6 MY12.5
dude... i also have VS acclaim eco on duel fuel and does the same thing... fan kicks in at 3/4 gauge at the lights then at cruising its about 1/4......

seems quite normal unless it goes past 3/4......

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
is it actually overheating, or is the gauge reading rong?, because my fan kicks in at 1/2 way

Koontz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
same thing on my VS
i dont reckon its over heating, as soon as the thermo fan kicks in it drops to 1/2 or below in a matter of seconds.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
Koontz said:
same thing on my VS
i dont reckon its over heating, as soon as the thermo fan kicks in it drops to 1/2 or below in a matter of seconds.

hm have you checked for error codes on the computer?
also have you flushed the system?

Koontz

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec
What im saying is I reckon this behaviour is fairly normal.

My car only goes to 3/4 if its sitting at lights on a stinking hot day. Otherwise sits on half everywhere. If you search threads most ppls cars sit about half.

pj

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Executive
sounds pretty normal to me...

N

ninja

Mine sits halfway, but goes up to 3/4 when stationary and weather a bit hot, thermo fan starts up and down it goes in a matter of seconds. I think that by reading all the replies here, it's fairly much the norm.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
yea just as long as it dont go above 3/4 as today is first day of summer you may have issue if it gets any higher, my vr series 1 fan kicks in half way, its neva gone above half way, sits there when idle, drops when driving

gen3_350_v8

Reaction score
Members Ride
ss vy 5.7l M6
my old vs would do that b4 she cooked the heads and spun the bearings, after a rebuild never when about 1/4 even on hot days in traffic, normal or not hmmmm im thinking normal for hi km engines, dont look good boys lol