Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

leaking power steering and tyre wear

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
Had to get new front tyres for the VR, major inside wear (drivers side was down to the belts) and they had only been on for approximately 8 months, probably done 20,000 km's, so I wasn't happy.

The mechanic said it was due to the leak in the power steering. I can remember hearing or reading something about this.

Can someone enlighten me as to how this (i assume it would be the power steering fluid) can cause tyre wear?

Thanks.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
That's a new one on me and I can't see how a leak in the power steering can cause tyre wear. An alignment should fix the problem and cost under $40. It pays to always get a second opinion when you don't really understand what the mechanics are talking about.

Rufus®

I Jizzed in my pants
Reaction score
Website
www.mediafire.com
Members Ride
VR S1 S Pack, VX S2 Acclaim Wagoon
hako said:
That's a new one on me and I can't see how a leak in the power steering can cause tyre wear. An alignment should fix the problem and cost under $40. It pays to always get a second opinion when you don't really understand what the mechanics are talking about.

yeah got the alignment done. the alignemnt and tyres were done by 2 different places. When I had the alignment done, he asked me if i had wear problems on my last sert of tyres. That is when he told me about the power steering causing it. I already knew I had to get the pump done, so it wasn't as though he was trying to screw me for money, lol.

As I said, I have heard of it before, but cannot remember why or how it happens.

Cheers.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
I really think you should see another mechanic - a worn power steering pump cannot cause tyre wear...it may leak, or cause heavy steering or even seize. A can of power steering stopleak will usually fix most leaks .... at least temporarily.