Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR Auto gearbox no reverse

goneagain

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim V6
Hi All,

The Auto gearbox on my VR Acclaim is not working, no reverse, but it goes forward in all gears (including reverse) and labours in Park or Reverse from memory. It has been a while since I drove it.

The oil level is fine, I warmed up the engine, put it in gear and then back to park and the oil level was in Hot range.

I there any thing you can think of that I can check to try to fix it myself it would be appreciated?

Adrian

goneagain

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim V6
I have booked that car in to have it fixed as I have no idea if it could be simple or difficult to fix. Its going to hurt the pocket I was quoted $1000 for a second hand auto gear box. :confused:

W

wooley

hey,

the same thing happened in my old magna, i had to havea whole new gearbox put it.

expensive, but it ran so much better after it.

wooley

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Welcome to the ultra expensive world of you beaut modern-ish electronic transmissions. :shutup:

goneagain

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Acclaim V6
Hi, I got the car back today and it runs great, they charged me $1100 with a years warranty. Well worth it. :p

J

JADECOMMO

Yeah same thing happened to me, but my 2-3 gear were fraring in between.They said it was the 2-3 clutch pack.quoted me $1100 for a renewed auto.

Don Sutton

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Commodore Acclaim
What sort of kms has the car done and were any services carried out on the transmission in that time? I hear that Falcon Taxi's need a transmission overhaul at about 150000kms.

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Don Sutton said:
What sort of kms has the car done and were any services carried out on the transmission in that time? I hear that Falcon Taxi's need a transmission overhaul at about 150000kms.
I was down in Melbourne a month ago and the AU2 Falcon taxi I rode in had 998,000km on the clock. The driver said it was going out of service "soon" as they ditched them when they hit one million km. Only problem with this taxi was one transmission (BRW? i think) at 400,000km. This particular taxi only had its engine turned off to refuel with autogas so it probably is not representative.