Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS - Check Engine and Auto problems

D

Dizzy-Rusty

:b: Hi All,

We have just joined Just Commodores and love the site.

3 weeks ago we purchased a 2nd hand VS Acclaim and unfortunately have encountered problems already. My wife (Rusty) was driving home last night and noticed that the "check engine" light came on and at the same time lost all gears except for 3rd.

I've done some research through the forums and saw that somebody else had a similar problem but didn't see a fix. Somebody stated in that post that it could be the "speed sensor".

So my question is; where are they, are they easy to replace and what cost would I be looking at to purchase them? Now being a Saturday morning in Perth I think it will be difficult to find a mechanic to do the work and only a few hours before Coventry's closes.

Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers

Dizzy

MarzVP

I now own a TARAGO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Tarago
Have you checked the code that it is giving

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
before you go replacing things, check your engine for codes

Link: https://forums.justcommodores.com.au/threads/checking-error-codes-vr-vs-revised.22307

(*Remember when checking codes, each code is diplayed 3 times each. ie: 12,12,12,31,31,31 and so on*)

2nd of all, are the contacts on the key dirty? could do with that or a flat battery in the key.

Also it wouldnt hurt to do a full services on the car if you have just purchased it.

a common thing in commodores is the "Crank Angel Sensor" get some body to check this out after you have done the other few :p

Cheers, let us know how you go

and im guessing its an auto?

D

Dizzy-Rusty

Thanks for the input.

Now just coming from a good old HX Kingswood, all this car computer stuff is new to me. How do I check the codes? As you could imagine we didn't get a book with the car.

Also, started the car this morning, took it for a quick spin and all works fine now.

Look forward to the response.

Cheers

Dizzy

D

Dizzy-Rusty

Derrr I just checked the link that was given, now going to test it all.

Cheers

Dizzy

D

Dizzy-Rusty

Once again thanks for all the input, the diagnostic test came up with a 12, so I assume all is alright for now.

Now off to replace a tie rod end and organising a full service for next week.

Cheers all

Dizzy

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
Dizzy-Rusty said:
Derrr I just checked the link that was given, now going to test it all.

Cheers

Dizzy

:thumbsup:
when you checked the codes, u knew it displays each code 3 times?

so example 12x3 31x3 etc

Scooter79

Reaction score
Members Ride
VSII Calais supercharged
If you've just purchased the car I recommend you buy yourself a Gregory's manual and learn to do the simple stuff yourself. The manuals are around $35 but will save you lots of $ in the long run. Even though they're full of electronics, Ecotec engines are a breeze to work on yourself.

D

Dizzy-Rusty

Yeah Fitzy, however I did learn that one by accident :)

Cheers
Dizzy