Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Coolant Change

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
well this sounds very strange , but, my bro had some Holden Coolant here (consentrate) (left over from a vn which he sold) any way i decided to change my coolant.. after a flush and refil (the correct ratio water/coolant) now my car seems to be palying up, when i first start it up, (even after 1 hour of sitting) and i try to drive down the road, there is harly any acceleration :S , was working fine before i changed the coolant. if i keep driving for a wile the accelration gets better :S, shood i have used this coolant?? and is there such thing as coolant causing this, or is something else playing up

cheers

aa23

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim
Coolant can't do that. The only minor extremely possible way coolant could damage engine power, is if you drained it when it was hot, then poured the cold coolant straight back in. Thus could possibly lead to cracks in the engine block, or head gasket area, thereby robbing you of power.
That's all i can think of.
Or you upset something totally different when changing the coolant.
Eg: electrical or something.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
hm, cant be that, left it over night before i changed it, thanks for your reply any way

Last edited:

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
but hmm.. my car has had a misfire at idle, and somebody told me worst case your head gaskets gone :S but ive neva lost any coolant, never had any water in oil or vice versa, so i dont know

hako

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS11 BT1 V6
Best case scenario is you knocked a plug lead just enough so it is shorting out somewhere causing the miss. Have a look at the motor at night with the engine running in total darkness - look for sparking.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
hako said:
Best case scenario is you knocked a plug lead just enough so it is shorting out somewhere causing the miss. Have a look at the motor at night with the engine running in total darkness - look for sparking.

hmm, ill giv that a try, but mates got a spare coil pack whcih im gonna try too, also new leads and plugs, (not so much leads as there resistance is fine)

BlackVXGTS

Reaction score
Members Ride
GEN-F2 GTS A6, VS Clubsport 185 A4
Can't tell from your post if you have a V6 or a V8. After you change the coolant you need to purge all the air out of the cooling system. With a V8 this is done automatically and you just have to keep topping up the coolant until the level stabilises in the overflow tank. With a V6 there is a screw on top of the engine that you need to undo to purge the air. You may be getting false readings from your coolant temperature sensor until the coolant heats up and expands in volume to cover the sensor. All I can think of.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
ok thanks for your help guys, it seemed to be fne after a few days (air must be out of system) got a computer scanner connected up all codes were fine and all temps volts etc werre fine, and aparently i got a leaky injector.