Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Code 13

V

vsII manual

Had Code 13 come up on the VS, Oxy Sensor no signal.
It was going on and off intermittently coming up the Freeway in Adelaide, it was about 30 degrees outside temp.
The car was running a bit warmer than normal and i know O2 sensors are in their loop circuit when hot. So does it depend on the exhaust temperature or coolant temperature for them to be working effectively? I just ask because i have a cooler thermostat so maybe this is empeding them to work under my "normal" operating temp which is less than standard.
Any thoughts would be great.

MarzVP

I now own a TARAGO!!!
Reaction score
Members Ride
1992 Tarago
They are not that expensive to replace and from what I have read can be done easy enough. Most people who have changed thiers have also reported a increase in fuel economy.

fitzy2005

Reaction score
Members Ride
VY S2 Berlina
MarzVP said:
They are not that expensive to replace and from what I have read can be done easy enough. Most people who have changed thiers have also reported a increase in fuel economy.

yea if the is no signal, the car overfuels, so replace it and you will find a better economy

dlzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 3.8 V6
yep.. im getting 100Km + after i replaced both oxy sensors with the NTK ones (NGK)

the saving alone will pay them off in no time :D

V

vsII manual

thanks guys, i have read in past forums that they do help with efficiency.
Im changing both ive decided. The car has done 150K and not sure if they have ever been changed. My economy isn't too bad at the moment, between 10-12 per 100. But if the new sensors help it will be nice :D

vt1538

455rwhp LS3
Reaction score
Members Ride
VY SS S2 11.284@125mph
To answer your question the closed loop when the O2 sensor is being used needs both the cooling system to be over 44 deg & the exhaust temp around 360 deg. The exhaust temp is needed for the O2 sensor to start producing voltage.

V

vsII manual

vt1538 said:
To answer your question the closed loop when the O2 sensor is being used needs both the cooling system to be over 44 deg & the exhaust temp around 360 deg. The exhaust temp is needed for the O2 sensor to start producing voltage.

Thanks man. I just thought it was strange how my engine light was going on anf off during the trip so i thiught maybe the engine was cooling down enough to "switch off" the sensor, then heating up again and causing the fault code.
I have extractors on the car but im sure they would reach that 360 degrees no problems?

V

vsII manual

Just thought i would let you guys know that i changed both O2 sensors last night, even though the code said only the right one was not working.
The left looked ok, but the right one was deffiantly not working, it was all carboned up.
Ill keep you posted on how much better fuel econmy i am getting with 2 o2 sensors working, not just one.

Patrio7

3Y3 K4N 5P33K 1337.
Reaction score
Members Ride
'96 S1 VS Exec
what are they worth? $80ish? [ my wheels have done 228000 nearly, shes due for a service so i figure i should include some o2 sensors to go with it. though i wouldnt mind holding off for a little while untill i can get a sports exhaust, run it in for say 500kays then service it.

V

vsII manual

Patrio7 said:
what are they worth? $80ish? [ my wheels have done 228000 nearly, shes due for a service so i figure i should include some o2 sensors to go with it. though i wouldnt mind holding off for a little while untill i can get a sports exhaust, run it in for say 500kays then service it.

I paid $83 each. Mine has done about 160k, if yours has 220+k and they have not been changed, id recommend to do it. Its piss easy to get them out and in too.