Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Weird starting problem....

A

Amishdan

Probably been asked before but I couldnt find anything in the search.

Basically when its cold it starts fine the first time.

But when its hot, like after driving and putting fuel in at the servo and go to start it back up, it has real trouble kicking over. Sounds like when you try to start a car with a flat battery, but I dont think its that, otherwise itd do it when cold as well.. :bang: If that makes any sense.

Got a funny look from the cops the other night when I turned the car off after being pulled over for a RBT, then it wouldnt start again properly. :D

Any help would be great.

Thanks.

sixshooter

Reaction score
Members Ride
2x VS
Sounds like a starter motor on its way out... I had probs with an ol jap shitbox toyota... it would do a similar thing... except when it was hot it refused to turn over at all...

My solution was to carry a bottle of water which I'd drown the starter with when ever it refused to start... after about a year of that it finally died and I had to cough up for a reconditioned unit...

NBER1

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS SS HSV
I Drive An Eight And Just Went Through The Same Thing.have The Battery Tested,your Battery May Not Be Retaining Amps.i Ended Up Replacing The Battery & Terminals.

kopper69

Reaction score
Members Ride
VRII Acclaim
Crank angle sensor. Mine went a little while ago. Basically with heat and age they start to fail. Will start beautifully cold, but sometimes wont start when warm. Can remember what it cost to fix, but to check if it is the problem get a can of freeze spray. When the car is warm and wont start spray the freeze spray on the crank angle sensor to cool it down and then try and start her.

R

rooty

yea id say it would be the crank angle sensor because when i done mine it did it the same thing i got the it done and starts 1st time all the time now even when it is hot :D

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
i third crank angle sensor

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
thinking again my aunt had a similar prob and the mech diagnosed and replaced the crank angle sensor

it still happened and i read the common fault senction and it turned out to be the pins were ever so slightly corroded on the coil pack so i undone the main plug sprayed some wd40 and pushed it in and out a few times and she has been fine ever since

but the way you described it sounds like CAS... no harm in trying that first thow could save you a bit

QWK-11E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2009
i had a similas prob with my vr ss this morning, wne to putr some petrol, wen i went back to the car went to turn it on, it struggled a lil bit and made like a griding noise for 1 or 2 secs and then it kicked over all was good.

wen i got to work turned off the car again and went to turn it on all was good tried it one more time and the grinding sound happened again

any thoughts?