Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR longevity

mitch01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec. ser.1
Hi,
I was looking at buying a VR (manual) for sale but am concerned about high k's. Its done 280,000klm :shutup:
So I guess I was just wondering about the lifespan of the VR engine & manual gearbox. Would I be up for a rebuild in the near future?
And I guess just about everything that is going to go wrong would have done so by this stage of its life. But what else should I look out for?
Would like to hear from other 300+ klm VR owners about their experiences.
Thanks!

Last edited:

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
Well mate mines done 190,000 and the rings are about to go on it...but i havent herd that in many low KM cars like mine...so i guess ive just got really bad luck..Ask wht its service history is like? if its got a good one, then the engine shuld be fine..also check what colour the oil is and how thick it is,

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
you will more than likley find a car with that many k's wont have the original motor check the engine number on the front cover and compare it to your rego

id put money on it that its different

HDT_aero

Banned
Reaction score
Members Ride
manual VN aero
my mate had 340000 on the clock and the motor was different

VSB

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX Supercharged Calais and Vr Berlina
I've got a VR auto with 320,000 still goes hard, just make sure there is no leaks on the rear main seal of the motor as thats pricey to fix, but check that it's not blowing smoke or rattling excessively and idles smooth, these engines are good for 500,000 plus K's as long as there looked after!

QWK-11E

Reaction score
Members Ride
VE SV6 2009
my old man had a vn with 380,000 on the clock and it stopped clockin km`s 2.5 years b4 that, and it was still going hard (util some1 hit him and bye bye bombadore)

StatOmaN

Custom Title
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Statesman
think ive got about 340 on mine but b4 i got it the guy got new transmission, suspension, and bits and peices for the engine....still goes hard tho....but ive just started to notice that the auto is slipping a bit, it all depends on how the engine was treated for its 300+k's

G

gazzaron

Hi Dude Well I Know Of A Friend That Has Done Over 400+ And Has Not Ever Had A Problem Only With The Air Cond Just A Regas And Is Serviced Every 10000 Ks So Look After It And It Will Look After You However The Car Never Stops As He Is A Sales Rep

C

chosen_one

I've done 165000kms and have serviced it every 10,000. I had rear main seal problems during my warranty period (luckilly) and have only just got another one now - which is a hell of a lot of years post warranty. My power steering leaks a lot and needs replacing as well as the engine mounts. All power windows have stuffed up over time. Discs need machining every 20,000. Other than that, she purs like a kitten.

mitch01

Reaction score
Members Ride
VX exec. ser.1
Cool, thanks for the feedback guys.
Doesn't look like I'd be able to buy it anyway cause I can't transfer rego into my name without a NSW lisence. (currently have QLD one) & don't want to change it.
And i can't drive the car to QLD without rego either :cry: so looks like no 5speed for me :mad: