Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Total Loss of Throttle Response, Engine Still Running

J

Jarvo

Hi all,
Got a problem with my 1998 vs ute. (Utes all VS till 2000). It is a V6 column shift auto. Its preventing me from driving it and i have been to 2 mechanics who can't seem to find the problem.

Basically, after it is warm, I can be driving along and I get a total loss of throttle response. It seems to happen when I just get back on to the throttle after slowing for a corner etc. It is also apparent that it happens when at low revs at the bottom end of a gear. Nothing I seem to do during the problem seems to make a difference. Putting it in neutral and revving it gives my no response(ie can't here it revving). Chucking it in reverse cause it to idle backwards but very roughly and still no throttle resoponse.

To solve the problem I simply pull over, turn the car off and then back on again and i'm right to go. Strange one.

Thought it may be a sensor or engine management system, however no error codes found. Also no warning light appears during the problem.

Anyone that could shed any light on my problem would be much appreciated.

Cheers

minux

Reaction score
Members Ride
2017 SSV Redline
Could be a throttle body issue perhaps, perhaps a sender somewhere has crapped itself, best bet is to take her to an auto elec, unless Dr Bob can help you out

Reaction score
Website
www.cardomain.com
Members Ride
VE SportWagon International A4
Yeh, sound a bit like a faulty Throttle Position Sensor. :unsure: Your mechanic should have been able to pick that up though.

patullose

Sean
Reaction score
Members Ride
Vr Exc 1994
Jarvo said:
Hi all,
Got a problem with my 1998 vs ute. (Utes all VS till 2000).

Wat was the VU ute? i thought that was 1998-2001?!?!?!

burnz

dah dut dut da dah
Reaction score
Members Ride
VFII SS ute M6
Jarvo said:
Hi all,
Got a problem with my 1998 vs ute. (Utes all VS till 2000). It is a V6 column shift auto. Its preventing me from driving it and i have been to 2 mechanics who can't seem to find the problem.

Basically, after it is warm, I can be driving along and I get a total loss of throttle response. It seems to happen when I just get back on to the throttle after slowing for a corner etc. It is also apparent that it happens when at low revs at the bottom end of a gear. Nothing I seem to do during the problem seems to make a difference. Putting it in neutral and revving it gives my no response(ie can't here it revving). Chucking it in reverse cause it to idle backwards but very roughly and still no throttle resoponse.

To solve the problem I simply pull over, turn the car off and then back on again and i'm right to go. Strange one.

Thought it may be a sensor or engine management system, however no error codes found. Also no warning light appears during the problem.

Anyone that could shed any light on my problem would be much appreciated.

Cheers
throttle position sensor or vacuum hose M.A.P. or airbox M.A.F.