Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How long to change rear wheel axle bearings

digisol

Reaction score
Members Ride
Toyota Landcruiser
As per the title, the car was said to have had new bearings on one side fitted for the roadworthy, problem is the roadworthy certificate is as dodgy as they come and not much was really ever done, nor would it have passed a real check.

I can contact the guy that did it but he is in the Gold Coast and i'm in yeppoon making that pretty well useless.

I changed rubbers on stabiliser bars, new shocks, new exhaust rubbers, all new suspension rubbers etc etc but the rattle is still there, and that's just the back end.

I have spent heaps fixing steering rack leaks and other assorted rattles but the rear end rattle has finally been found when I took off the rear disk showing an axle bearing end float of well over 1 mm.

sure I could go the legal route but the car is not that bad, just an annoying rattle on bumpy roads, and having the axle come adrift big time could be more a drama.

How long would it take to replace both sides of the axle bearings etc, I can't due to heart dramas, nor do I have a press to do a proper job.

Does the handbrake have to be removed or can it stay in position ? or does one just undo the 4 nuts on the axle retainer and use the disk turned around as a slide hammer to remove the axle.

Any advice would be a great help.