Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR EFI V8 in VL Calais

bck2basics

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais
Hi all,

I have a VL Calais that ive done a efi conversion on with vr running gear. everythings been fine apart from the fact that I've been having a problem that my engine light will come on most times the car is running. But it will only come on after the car is warm and when either I clutch in, break or at idle, so in other words, when my revs start dropping. I've done about 20 diagnostics and only twice have I got the code 24 which is;

Code 24 - Vehicle Speed Sensor (VSS) - Fault - Auto Transmission Only

The reason it gets that code is one of these reasons;

Test Description: Number(s) below refer to Step number(s) on the diagnostic chart.
1. Diagnostic Trouble Code 24 will set if:
Range selected is not in park or neutral.
Engine speed is greater than 3000 RPM.
Transmission output is less than 250 RPM.
TP sensor between 0% and 100%.
MAP sensor signal between 52 kPa to 100 kPa.
All conditions above met for about 3 seconds.

DTC 24 Will set if the VSS circuit is open from a standing stop. As the vehicle is accelerated the transmission will shift from 1st to 2nd gear at approximately 54 km/h. If the VSS signal is not present, DTC 24 will be set.
4. Output voltage will vary with speed from a minimum of 0.5 volts AC at 100 RPM, to more than 100 volts AC at 8000 RPM, with no load on the circuit on the vehicle, with the engine at 4000 RPM and in 4th gear, the voltage will be approximately 25 volts AC.
6. Diagnostic Trouble Code 24 is being caused by a faulty PCM, faulty PROM or an incorrect PROM.

Now when I wired up my car, using the calaisturbo thread, the only wire i missed was this one near the ecu;

Grey wire on pink plug near ecu:
Inhibitor switch, negative (-) power input. This wire needs to be connected to you inhibitor switch on your gear stick so the computer knows when it is in park on netural. If the car is manual than this needs to be earthed out to negative (-) continuasly.

I couldn't find that wire. So I'm hoping the reason it comes up is due to this, but I can't find a pink plug near the ecu, I only have the 2 plugs that go into the ecu or a white plug but there's no grey wire on it.

Does any one have any idea where I could find that grey wire? My guess is that wire may have something to do with it. Or better yet how I could fix the engine light coming on? It's a factory manual, and if it helps I didn't wire up the vss. This problem wasn't happenening when driving the vr before everything went in the vl.

I've also replaced the tps, iac valve, coolant temp sender and temp sensor all with new items.

Thanks

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
you didn't hook up the vss...... there's your problem

Jxfwsf

Reaction score
Members Ride
commodore
*snip* and if it helps I didn't wire up the vss. *snip*

whatever you didn't hook up is what's causing it, half of what you cut n pasted is for an auto anyway, so can be disregarded, simply the ecu can't see the VSS because it's not connected so it's throwing the code, hook it up and problem should be solved

bck2basics

Reaction score
Members Ride
Vl Calais
Ok ill wire it up tomorrow and see how I go. Also I have another issue that when I start the car in the mornings, the revs will come up to 1100 and then drop until the car will stall, I then start it again and rev it to about 2000rpm and slowly let the accelerator go, and the iac vavle kicks in and you can hear a huge sucking noise coming from the airbox. Could not having the vss wired up cause that or is there anything else that would cause that?