Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS suspension and camber

whitepony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 2
Hi all
Ive got a 96 vs with an RTS setup.
Im looking at upgrading to camber kits and adjustable shocks. I hear people saying you only need camber on the front, but some say the back is needed. should I just go for the 2points on both or 4 points as this adds toeing which I believe you only need on the front. Brands Whiteline, Kmac are the best Ive seen
I've lowered it about 4 inches with kings and monroe setup in the past but I am looking at Koni adjustable's or KYB or Bilstein.
Im getting into track days and car club runs, eventually turning it into a race car (in a few years).

Any advice on brands or what the best path is to go down would be great.
Thanks

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Ive got a 96 vs with an RTS setup.

Might need to double check that, last time I checked RTS was live axle. Can't do camber kits for live axle.

Can't work out from your post if you're trying to gain or eliminate camber, as typically the kits are designed to eliminate it.

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
As above, rts would be live axle. So camber adjustment will only be relevant for front. You would increase camber to have the wheels dip in like on a v8 supercar for better cornering. As for your rear axle i would recommend an adjustable panhard rod to correct the thrust angle. I had a whiteline one in my old wagon and it was good.

whitepony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 2
cheers
Yeah RTS is a live axle, Ive just found out that you can do a camber but its not worth the hassel as you just change the bearing sizes for the top and bottom but you dont gain much (1.5 deg max).
Im trying to gain camber, also found out you don't need a kit for the front as you can change the camber and toe on the existing nuckle setup by adjusting the bolts.

So thats that sorted but If any recommendations for shocks would be good.

Grnvs, I'll look into the panhard rod bit too.

grnvs

Reaction score
Members Ride
vs v8 5spd 9c1
Why you want camber on the back wheels is beyond me, the tyre wear is atrocious with the camber i have and that is with a camber kit running reasonable toe adjustment! Unless of course you want to drift the thing or something, lol!

Yeah as you said the fronts will adjust camber (to a point) but not castor, amd yeah mate i'd definately get the adjustable panhard rod. If you really want negative camber on your rears for some reason buy an irs acclaim or ss or something....

whitepony

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS series 2
Yeah scrapping the the whole rear camber idea, too much hassel.
yeah Im looking at castor kits now and looking as prices for the panhard rod.
Acclaim lol...

_R_J_K_

Reaction score
Members Ride
Zenki S14
Camber adjustment on the knuckle will be pretty limited, Nolathane was making camber tops at one stage apparently. Short of going adjustable z-bars, castor bushes are your only option for castor, they only give 1.5+ I think.

c&cberlina

Reaction score
Members Ride
VZ Berlina,Vs Exec(track car). RA Rodeo 4wd.
Gday, iam in the process of building vs v6 live axle track car. I have never heard of changing the bearings to get camber on the rear, the only way to get camber on live axle's is to get the diff bent!! But not worth doing unless you are wanting to race for sheep stations!! At the moment my suspension setup is king springs, pedders shocks, adj panhard, nolathane adj top hat and whiteline adj z bars. Saloon cars run a basic setup and they do some very good lap times!!