Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

Power Windows Problem

K

Kramer

Just happen today put the front left window down twice and it went back up both times, did it a third and now it won't go back up.
Any suggestions.

Dexn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Berlina S2
I've had a couple of times with my car, I think it's the switch - if I keep trying it works. Anyway, my suggestion:

- Determain if it's the switch, or the door (ie, motor etc.). Can you hear the motor trying to push up the window? or is nothing happening full stop?

If it is the switch, I've been meaning to hit it with some contact cleaner (got a can from Jaycar) but havn't got around to it (the switches are very easy to get out - you just need to pry them).

Could also be an intermittent wiring connection, maybe have a look at it if you pull it out to do the cleaning.

Hope it helps

K

Kramer

yeah there's no sound of the motor going at all. I was also thinking it could be the heat cause it's a very hot day here in Victoria a hot 39*, it hasn't been that hot since about Feb or March earlier this year but that's just an idea, i'll see how I go tomorrow when I check it, but thanx for the tip.

newo

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Berlina
Yeah man, same deal on mine. I rocked the switch back and forth and in the end it went up. So up it stays till I solve the problem! I've been told a bit of graphite powder to lube them is ok. is it?

K

Kramer

G'day peoples, got to see wot woz wrong with the window. Now checked to switch it seems to be fine, the motor seems to be fine, we tried giving the motor a different power source but it didnt work, I woz told it might be the relay but dont know where or wot that is.

Any suggestions

theburna

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Statesman
more than likely its the switch. Test it by unplugging the oposite side from its lead and testing if it works i.e plug the left switch into the right leads.
Switches are farking dear so try ebay first.

K

Kramer

Went to an auto electrican it's the switches cause now the drivers window is stuffed to does any know someone in victoria that has a set, a wreckers or something like that cause I don't want to go to holden cause I'm looking at about $300 for the genuine holden parts.
By the way I'm coming from Seymour which is 100km north from Melbourne on the Hume.

DJ Ice

Reaction score
Members Ride
MY07 VE Calais V
Try eBay as they often come up for under $100 dollars.

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
Contact Cleaner for power window switches. My power window switches were dodgy. Got hold of a can of contact cleaner from Dick Smiths (less than $20) & gave them a good soaking - working fine now. Soak them and work the the switches to flush the grit out. Take the switches out of the car as contact cleaner is a wee bit toxic (causes cancer, apparently - it's carbon tetra-chloride) & goes to your head in confined spaces. Wear sunscreen if you use it outdoors cos it burns holes in the ozone layer (duh). I sprayed silicon on the rubber channels but lots of people hate that stuff so make up your own mind there. Graphite works there too, aparently. I wouldn't spray graphite into the switches as it conducts electricity.