Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VS V6 Starting harshly

vsuterus

Reaction score
Gday,
My VS Series I Calais V6 starts with a bit of a jerk, but once it starts it runs fine without a problem. Could this possibly be an engine mount causing the problem. Also it need a few more turns of the starter to start when its warm. Has had quite a few things replaced on it, eg computer, o2 sensors, coil pack, injectors before I got it - but I guess one of the above could still possibly be a problem. I've cleaned the IAC and thats fixed the idling problem it used to have (but its always started harshly since I've had it).

Also it seems to be using a shitload more fuel than my VP V6 Calais - about 10L/100km on the freeway instead of the VPs 7L/100. Brakes arent binding and seems to roll alright. Is there anyway to test the lock up torque converter?

any help would be great!

dontsailbackwards

I didn't do it
Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Calais V6 '94
check the harmonic balancer. Mine died - dounded like it was dropping a valve when it started. Look for cracks / splits in the rubber on it. Search the forums for 'harmonic balancer' for more clues.

Look at the fuel filter too.

good luck

cheers
:) DSB

vsuterus

Reaction score
Thanks DSB,
was the only symptom of your faulty harmonic balancer the bad start or did it run rough as well? I can't see any perished rubber around/behind it without pulling it off but I guess it could be cracked behind which wouldnt show until the rubber broke enough to fall apart.
cheers
Rhys