Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

How do you lower a car?

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
I want to lower my car, i found some lowerd IRS pedders springs on ebay for $40 in good condition. Is this all i need to lower my car or do i need new shock absorbers or somthing similer? ive been reading around and i might need somthing called a camber kit? what is this and what does it do? will i need it if i get new springs? your help would be much appreciated? thanks! :)

Notorious

Notoriou$
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2 3.8L
Smaller shocks are a good idea, altho its not 100% necessary, but then thinking about it, why do half a job ? Camber kit is also a good idea as your tyres will be on a "lean" or "slope" inwards at the top, once your car is lowered. the kit just re-corrects this. I dont have on on my car (IRS also) it just means my tyres will wear un-evenly and i wont get the maximum use from my treads.

SMIT

Donating Member
Reaction score
Members Ride
VT C2R TURBO 5SP + CRUNCH VE SSV 6SP
Notorious said:
Camber kit is also a good idea as your tyres will be on a "lean" or "slope" inwards at the top, once your car is lowered. the kit just re-corrects this.

Thanx notorious, ur a great help. just wondering though, is the camber kit worth it compared to how much less time the tyres last?

Thanx agen buddy

Notorious

Notoriou$
Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Acclaim S2 3.8L
Umm, Im not too sure yet man, might have to see what others say as iv only just had my car lowered for about 4months, and the tyres wernt far off due then and need replaceing now, but thats also due to a few burnouts helping them along :D

hsvpgts

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS II V6 Berlina
hey there.
i have a vs i acclaim with super, super low king springs front and rear with irs. it is not really necessary to change rear shocks on irs when lowering as will still be held in. i did mine however as front struts and rear shocks were stuffed anyway.
as for the camber kit - being a holden mechanic myself i know the rear tyres generally wear unevenly once lowered but i cbf fitting a camber kit to mine. i lowered it myself about 12 months ago now and had newish tyres on the rear at the time. tyres are still fine now even after 30,000km's (slight inner wear though). all i have done is made sure every 5,000km's i rotated and balanced wheels and tyres are still going. will probably need new one's in about 6 months - before winter comes.
hope this helps.

dlzn

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS Exec SII 3.8 V6
nope.. the rear irs shocks are most important. i used to have pedders springs (not even that low) and when my car was raised up on hoist the spring would just lean and completely fall out.

once i notices my car had been lowered from the hoist wrongly in-between the coil. lucky i found the problem or who knows what might have happened.

you only need springs, shocks and struts and if not the full irs kit.. jus fix the toe. (top inward lean)

Stooged

Reaction score
Members Ride
VR Aclaim
Shocks to suit the ride height are a good idea and a camber kit for the back end is a must in an IRS!
I am fitting a K-mac kit in the next week or so.
My tyres are down to just starting to show the belts on the inside edge :eek: and on the ouside edge have around half tread left.

If you want good handling as well (not just the good looks of a lowered car) then it helps to thow some poly (nolathane etc) bushes in for the sway bars.
Paul.

mattman

Reaction score
Members Ride
'00 WH V6
What sort of $$ is involved in lowering a VS with IRS? I'm not sure if mine has it or not (only had it a week, not looked) but I've been told it was quite common.

I'd be looking at doing it properly, super lows, shocks, camber kit (if required)..

How much cheaper is it without IRS? I assume you just need the springs and shocks then..? (I really know nothing about this stuff).