Welcome to Just Commodores, a site specifically designed for all people who share the same passion as yourself.

Just Commodores Forum Community

It takes just a moment to join our fantastic community

Register

VR heater core foam padding?

Clarrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Exec
VR Heater core replacement

G'day all,
I'm about to replace my VR heater core using the excellent 'cut and join' method previously descibed on this forum.

After I cut the two pipes and slide the old core out, is there anything holding the remaining pipes in place other than the firewall grommet and engine bay hoses?

Since I've paid for a new unit (only $107 at a local Ipswich radiator workshop) it makes sense to me to use the whole new assembly. However, if there are other bits further up under the dash which will complicate the task I'll leave the old pipes in place.

Thanks for any advice!

markovr

Reaction score
Website
youtu.be
Members Ride
07vessv 94vr .04vz wgn,93vp wgn,82 vhV6 wgn 88 vn
I did the same thing to my vp and there was nothing but the grommet holding it in and the cut pipes came out easily.I flared the ends a bit too so there was no chance of the rubber hoses coming off or the clamps moving.

Clarrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Exec
re VR heater

Thanks Markovr!

skeg1967

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 CHASER
Hi Clarrie,

Here is the link that I posted photos of changing a VS heater core. The reason I did change the pipes on mine was it is a V8 and I couldn't get my hands down there to remove the heater core hoses off the pipes coming out of the firewall so i left them the way they were.

LINK. http://forums.justcommodores.com.au/showthread.php?t=10470

Good luck with the heater core.

Regards Skeg1967.

Attachments

• 100_4045.JPG
    100_4045.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 2,430

Clarrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Exec
G'day all,

I've got my new heater core all cut and ready to fit. The foam rubber padding on the old core has completely rotted away so I've got no guide on how to renew it.

I need to know what type of foam is best to use and what the general arrangement of the foam should be. i.e. is it glued on or do I just line the cavity and slide the new core into place? Is the whole core padded or just the ends?

Any advice would be appreciated, Her Majesty would like her car back on the road soon...

Cheers,
Clarrie

Clarrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Exec
Heater core foam

Problem solved, Jackson's Foam and Vinyl in Ipswich sell 6mm thick self adhesive foam in a few different widths at around $2 a metre. I'm sure Clark Rubber and similar stores do likewise.

I attached foam to all sides of the plain tank, down each flat plate on the sides of the core and a band around the pipe tank. The core slipped snuggly into place, I just had to gently poke the pipe end foam in around the edges as the core slid home to prevent it peeling back.

The dash is back together (even managed to change the blown temp controller light bulb!) and no leaks so far. I'm considering putting some kind of guard over the new hoses and clamps in the footwell to contain any spray in the event of a leak or burst. Otherwise I'm very pleased with the results and it saved me lotsa $$$.

Could the moderator please move this thread to the original heater core 'how to' thread please.

Cheers

R

rattattack1313

Clarrie...no need to start a new thread each time, please...

Clarrie

Reaction score
Members Ride
94 VR Exec
heater stuff

Sorry about that...

:embarrass

skeg1967

Reaction score
Members Ride
VS V8 CHASER
Over 5 months on and no problems, I have not even retighten the hose clamps and haven't lost any coolant. After doing the job I kept a close check on the coolant levels, but it's easy to find any leaks because you will have green **** all over your feet.